X.

𝙂𝙚𝙤𝙧𝙜𝙞𝙖

Messages

Conversation with Quinn Hughes

Georgia
you were amazing!
hoa already asking if he can sleep with
your hockey stick beside him 🥹

Quinn
haha don't let him forget he
owes me one back!

Georgia
honestly you'll deserve a lot
more than a stick if you can
make it through the entirety of
one of his games hahaha

Quinn
i bet the kid is a natural out there

Georgia
everything he knows, he learned
from watching you :)

...

Georgia
thank you again for the tix and
for being so sweet to hoa. my
brother wants me to pass on his 
thanks too!

Quinn
of course, i'm really happy you
guys could make it.
are you still at the rink? i just got
out of the shower and i was gonna
go grab some food

Georgia
i just said goodbye to jensen
and hoa, now heading to my car
so i'll be on my way home soon!

...

Georgia
WAIT
is that you asking if i want to
come with you to get food?
i'm so dumb
god now i really hope that is
what you meant because otherwise
these last couple messages are really
awkward 😅

Quinn
no that's on me haha
i was too nervous to ask outright
but that was me at least trying to
ask

Georgia
i would really like that
i'm outrageously hungry haha

Quinn
okay :)
want to meet at the exit closest to
you? i think i know which one it is
if you're in the regular lot.

Georgia
yes, i will be right outside those
doors. :)

-------

Georgia's hands shook around her phone—in part because of the cold and in part because she couldn't believe what was happening. She was waiting for Quinn Hughes—the Quinn Hughes—to meet her and go get food.

She had already spent half the night scrolling through Twitter, fearful that at any moment, she would be mentioned by someone who had a video of her at the game, but nothing ever appeared. There was no telling what would happen if anyone saw her out to eat with Quinn, though.

And yet when Quinn came around the corner, hands buried in the pockets of his long black coat, the worry about the world knowing her name left Georgia's mind entirely. All she could think about was him: the way he smiled at her as he approached, readjusting the toque on his head before offering a wave with the same hand.

"Hey," Georgia huffed, hoping the wind was a good enough excuse for the color that undoubtedly rushed into her cheeks.

There were only a few people left nearby, heading to their cars, but apparently none noticed the presence of their hockey star. He asked, "You ready?"

"Oh, yeah," Georgia hurried. "Want me to drive, or—"

"There are some places right up the road," Quinn assured her with a shake of the head.

"Walking distance?"

"Definitely," Quinn promised. Seemingly without a moment of hesitation, he removed his coat. It left him in only his suit jacket, which was admittedly probably warmer than Georgia's Canucks sweatshirt. Before she could process what was happening, Quinn slipped the coat around her shoulders, adjusting the lapel gently. The fabric was still warm from his body, and it almost brought Georgia to her knees.

Even when the coat was straightened on her shoulders, Quinn's touch lingered. When Georgia lifted her chin to look at him, he seemed nervous, distracted. "Thank you," she whispered, and the words drew him back to reality.

He smiled, and Georgia didn't miss the way his cheeks flushed under her eyes. "Of course," he replied.

For several long moments, they just stood there, Quinn's fingers still tight on the lapel of his coat, which now hung loosely from Georgia's body. She never wanted this moment to slip away: Quinn's proximity to her, his sweet smile and adoring gaze. But several fans had taken notice of them, and it made Georgia's hands tremble. "We should go get some food," she prompted.

Quinn cleared his throat and hurried a nod, finally letting his touch fall away. Its absence only lasted a moment, though, because he was quick to take Georgia's hand in his own.

It caught her by surprise, which she hoped Quinn didn't notice. He seemed so much more confident than she was. Then again, he was the professional athlete between the two of them. He could get a girl like you any day, Georgia reminded herself. Hell, he could get a girl ten times better than you—why would he have any reason to be nervous?

-------

𝚀𝚞𝚒𝚗𝚗

It was safe to say Quinn had never quite felt such heightened panic in his life. He didn't even remember feeling this nervous on draft day or during his first game in the League. Georgia Phan had reduced him to a shaky, nervous teenage boy again—and he didn't want to give himself away.

Though he hadn't made it easy for himself by grabbing a hold of Georgia's hand as he led her towards the street. The warmth of her skin against his was already driving him insane. All he wanted was to pull her into his chest and hold her, but he settled for stolen glances over at her as they walked.

"Got a place in mind?" Georgia asked, burrowing a little further into collar of Quinn's jacket.

"There are a few good spots," he replied. "Depends what you're in the mood for." He gave her hand a little squeeze, and she smiled up at him.

"I'm not good at making decisions," she laughed. "Why don't you take me to your favorite? I've lived here my whole life but rarely eat in the city, so it'll be a good surprise."

Quinn chuckled gently and nodded his agreement. "That sounds good to me," he declared. At this, Georgia brought her other hand across her body to hold onto Quinn's forearm, and Quinn had to tighten his jaw to keep it from falling open. He already knew he would let this girl do anything to him—even ruin his life—if it meant he never had to let her go.