Chapter 2

Today it was time to question his mate. The Great Assistant, the Great Haru, would bring an end to this Lunar Dragon world. 'Haru' wasn't his real name, though. It was simply an easy name to remember.

"Bring in my mate," the Great Haru announced. Beside him, the Lord Kaito sat on the golden throne. Lord Kaito was a golden dragon, the color of the rich and gold. But the Great Assistant was pale-pink, the color of the rising sun. Which was more powerful: the sun or gold? Easy to say, the sun.

The doors creaked open, letting in the sunlight. Guards marched in, covered in white-and-gold armor, surrounding a lilac-colored dragon. Tatsuo.

"Tatsuo," the Great Haru said. Her name echoed through the chamber. Tatsuo lifted her head. Her eyes caught the light, showing the depths of the soft warm pools.

"My sovereign," Tatsuo whispered, her lilac scales catching the light. She looks like a Lunar Dragon... But she can't be one! The Great Haru thought.

Lord Kaito stood up suddenly. "Tatsuo. Are you a Lunar Dragon?" He asked loudly. The words bounced around the hall once more.

"W-Why do you ask, my sovereign?" Tatsuo whispered.

Thump. Lord Kaito banged his talon against the hard wood table. "Answer me directly. Are you a Lunar Dragon?"

The Great Haru cleared his throat. "Lord Kaito. I think she is not a Lunar Dragon. She has told me multiple times that she isn't-"

"Lies!" Lord Kaito roared. "She is a Lunar Dragon! Didn't you forget that we have her DNA samples in the lab? And we compared her genes to Lunar Dragon genes? Ninety-percent similarity!"

The Great Haru felt as if he'd been stabbed in the chest. He gasped, his wild eyes meeting with the sorrowful eyes of his mate's. "You... lied to me?"

His mate shook her head. "You must be mistaken, my Lord. I am not a Lunar Dragon. My mother and my father are not Lunar Dragons. My whole family tree aren't Lunar Dragons."

"Guards!" Lord Kaito hissed, his forked tongue slithering in his mouth. "Seize Tatsuo and lock her up. Make her confess!"

"L-Lord Kaito-" The Great Haru whimpered, reaching for his mate. His mate screamed with agony as General Takaya solemnly grabbed a taser and tased Tatsuo, and dragged her out of the room. He could swear he could hear General Takaya whispering, "I'm so sorry, my sovereign."

The Great Haru crumpled to his talons. "T-T-Tatsuo..." He sniffed, letting his tears slip down his cheek. Lord Kaito glared at him, but pulled Haru up and whispered, "remember our plan. We will succeed."

After a while, the Great Haru was dismissed, and he immediately made his way down to the cellar. There, behind the iron bars, was a familiar lilac-colored dragon. Tatsuo.

"Tatsuo!" Haru cried, jumping to the cell. Tatsuo just stared down at her talons. Her long whiskers were tangled together. Her scales had lost their shiny gleam. In front of her was a jug of sake and a plate of buns. She stared past Haru's shoulder, into the cell opposite from her, which was empty. "Tatsuo!" He waved a talon in front of her face, but Tatsuo just continued staring.

"Why didn't you stop them?" Tatsuo whispered. Her voice was all broken. Hearing it shattered Haru's heart.

"I-I-I tried—"

"But you failed."

"You don't understand, I can't—"

"Stop," Tatsuo's voice was short and curt. "I will tell you the truth. Then you will let me free. Little Ryoto won't make it..."