SEVENTY-SIX

Jack's POV

Once I arrived at the Daytona Beach Police station, I parked in the parking lot and wasted no time grabbing my crutches from the backseat and getting out to walk up to the entrance.

I could barely sleep last night as I chewed away at my nails, anxious to find out whether the items reported on the news were Gabby's or not. I watched show after show, watched my alarm clock, and even stared at the ceiling all night trying to fall asleep.

My dad said that he'd come with me, but I just couldn't wait on him. He suggested we leave at noon, but it's noon now. I had to leave at 7AM, I couldn't wait any longer.

I knew it would be a four or five hour drive to Daytona Beach from Miami, and couldnt get here at 4PM without going fucking crazy. I needed closure. I needed to see that it wasn't her stuff.

As I neared the door, I noticed a small memorial with the picture of an officer surrounded by a wreath of flowers, Blue Lives Matter memorabilia, more bouquets of flowers, candles and other things you'd leave at a memorial I guess.

When I got through the entrance, I was greeted by the receptionist at a desk behind a glass window.

"Good evening sir, how may I help you?" She asked as she barely acknowledged me.

"Hi, my name is Jack Gilinsky. My wife went missing four days ago and I wanted to identify evidence you had to see if it was hers.

"We get a lot of evidence, sir. Can you specify what the items were?"

"A pair of flip flops, a hat, and a wedding ring. It was on the news last night."

"So, you just found out about this evidence last night?"

"Yes."

"And has your wife been reported missing yet?"

"Yes."

"Ok, sir. If you could please just have a seat for me, I'll get you an officer to sort all of this out soon."

I let out a sigh, discontent with the thought of waiting for them to get with me.

I sat in the empty waiting area of the lobby, tapping my foot, looking around at the posters that promoted missing people and community events.

One of the missing posters had a picture of a young girl, maybe 12 or 13 years old. The poster was dated back in 2019. The thought of missing someone for four years, and having no idea where or how they are made my stomach churn.

I couldn't help myself so I looked up her name. Chloe Lewis.

I impatiently waited for the search to load.

The pictures on her missing poster were the first thing to come up, and the next local news headline read: Chloe Lewis: Remains found in secluded area of local Rock Creek Park.

My shoulders dropped as I read the headline.

I needed hope, not more things to reinforce my negative thoughts.

The door past the receptionist's desk swung open, catching my attention immediately.

"Are you here for the missing person evidence?" The officer in the doorway asked.

"Yes." I stood up quickly, shoving my phone in my pocket and picking up my crutches so I could greet him.

"Officer Mackey, how are you doing sir?" He introduced himself in a thick accent, holding out his hand as I approached him.

"Could be a lot better, how about you?" I asked as I put my crutch under my armpit and shook his hand. He led me through the door towards the offices.

"Well, I signed up for the damn job so I guess I can't complain." He muttered, trying to make light of his day I guess.