5

"Are you an angel?"

News of Laena's death traveled fast.

The shock hit Megara like a physical blow. She had known the gods were cruel, but to take such a beautiful and kind woman felt especially selfish. Laena had been a beacon of warmth and understanding in Megara's tumultuous life. Though their time together had spanned only four years, each visit had been filled with moments that Megara cherished deeply. The news left a hollow ache in her chest. Sitting alone in her chambers, Megara's thoughts drifted to her sisters, Rhaena and Baela. They were only six years old, too young to lose their mother. She envisioned their innocent faces, now forced to confront a pain similar to the one she had endured. Her beloved stars, she thought, would burn harshly from this loss. Laena had been more than a stepmother; she had been a friend, a confidante, someone who had made Megara feel like part of a family again. The grief was overwhelming, and tears streamed down her face as she struggled to come to terms with the reality of Laena's absence. She felt a deep sorrow for her sisters, knowing they would be thrust into a world of pain and confusion far too early in their young lives.

As she sat by the window, staring out at the fading light of day, Megara whispered a prayer for Laena. She prayed for strength to be there for her sisters, to help them navigate the darkness that had now entered their lives. In her heart, she vowed to protect them, to honor Laena's memory by being the pillar of support they would need. She knew that the road ahead would be difficult, that the gods' cruelty would continue to test them. But in that moment of sorrow, Megara found a renewed sense of purpose. She would carry Laena's love and kindness with her, and she would ensure that Rhaena and Baela never felt alone in their grief.

"Your bags are packed, my lady," Lyra said, her voice gentle and efficient. Megara smiled at her handmaiden, grasping her hand softly. "Thank you, Lyra. I shall be back soon." With a nod of reassurance, Megara left her chamber and walked to where she knew her cousin Gerold worked. She didn't bother to knock, instead calling out as she entered, "Gerold." "Dearest Meg," Gerold replied, smiling as he rose from his chair. He greeted her with a soft kiss on the forehead. "You journey so often, and yet I always continue to miss you." Megara giggled and hugged her cousin tightly. Gerold had become like a father to her, the one man she knew would never leave her. Their bond was unbreakable, forged through years of mutual support and affection. As they embraced, Morana and Lady Jeyne Arryn entered the room. Megara quite liked Jeyne; the woman was strong-willed, fiercely independent, and blunt to the point of crudeness. It was Jeyne who had ensured Megara's position as Lady of Runestone when plots to give it to Daemon Targaryen arose. The Vale would never allow such a thing; they were united, and while they might fight among themselves, they would never show weakness to the outside world.