☹︎ ☾ - empty words.

A/N: I noticed I haven't written any angst yet. Well, I needed to change that :)

Octavius' POV in this one.

I sat at the table in the kitchen, a glass in my hand.
The room was dark.
I didn't even bother to turn the lights on.

The only source of light came from the moon outside—casting a pale glow on the walls and floors.
And the dim light from the streetlamp outside filtered through the window.
The light caused shadows across the walls and furniture of the kitchen.

Just where the hell is Jedediah?

It was so quiet; so quiet in the kitchen, but also our whole apartment.
The silence of the apartment was almost overwhelming.

The only sounds were the distant hum of the refrigerator and the occasional soft rustle of the curtains in the breeze.

I opened the window a while ago.
The air got so thick that I longed for a fresh breath.

Jedediah is out late again.
His work hours ended a long time ago.
If my math is correct, he should have been home four hours ago.

I mean, this is not the first time.
He has been doing this for quite a while now.
The cycle repeats every day, and I just keep waiting here for him, all alone—for nothing.

But who am I to judge?
He's a grown adult.
I'm not here to tell him what to do, or what not to do, even if I'm his boyfriend.

He comes home late, every single day.
And every day, the worry in my body still refuses to leave me.

I keep tapping on the 'call' button on my phone, and it keeps going to voicemail.

I leave multiple messages for him, and my phone keeps displaying them as being left on delivered.

He wasn't like this when we got together.
Jed was the opposite.
He tried to leave work as early as possible, so we could spend time together.

I always loved to order or prepare food for us, then we played board games or talked about all kinds of stuff.

Jed was so easy to love.
He made me feel safe, he made me feel at home.
He made crossing a road feel like an adventure; with his hand gently caressing mine.
We kept finding small reasons to laugh.
He was so gentle, so kind, so soft.
Jed listened to what I had to say, he listened and cared.

Just what happened to him?

I jolted awake as I heard the door slam shut.

My head felt heavy as I lifted it up from my arms on the table.

I didn't even realize I fell asleep.

I forced myself to stand up, even though my body craved for some sleep.

As I turned a corner—I saw Jedediah.

He stood at the door and undressed his jacket.

"Where were you?" I asked in a raspy, still sleepy voice.

"Out," he said.

He hung up his jacket and began to take his shoes off.

"You said the same thing yesterday," I said as I rubbed my eyes, "stop keeping your phone at silent, I was worried."

Jed stood up from his seating position, "I'm sorry. It's not going to happen again."

He said this yesterday, too.

I knew he was going to repeat it again tomorrow, but I just kept silent.

I know Jedediah is not cheating.
He is not like that.
He would rather eat 50 spiders than cheat.