Part Three | Dance Practice

Ominis's pov:

I was sat next to a giddy Sebastian. The rumors were true, Hogwarts would be holding a ball. And unfortunately for me, that meant being subjected to dance practice with the rest of our year.

They placed the girls on one side of the Great Hall, and boys on the other. Sebastian was excited, any reason to party and flirt was fun for him. I was good at neither of those things, not intentionally of course. Parties just feel to loud, and well, I was never great in the social scene. I didn't really care much about girls until last year- until y/n arrived. We had a rocky start, but now, I considered her one of my best friends. It was over the summer that I realized that my feelings for her had developed into something more than friendship.

We had a connection that was hard to explain. Time with her felt easy.

"Y/n keeps staring at you," Sebastian whispered to me discretely. I could hear the smile on his lips in the way his said it.

My face felt warm suddenly at the mention of her name- "yeah right," I scoffed. "She is probably just looking at you." It wasn't lost on me how close Sebastian and y/n were. That was part of the reason I didn't admit to him how I felt about her. No need to create a divide when there was no need for one- she would obviously choose him.

And he wasn't shy about his feelings either. He often remarked on how beautiful she looked.

"I'm serious," he said, "I bet she's eyeing to get you as a partner."

"Be serious Sebastian." I answered sharply. I knew he was probably just joking, but I didn't need him rubbing it in.

"Okay then everyone, partner up!" The instructor announced.

I stood slowly, allowing the other boys to rush towards the center of the hall before me. I used my wand to navigate through the crowd, hoping that at least one person wouldn't be ashamed to dance with me.

"Hello Ominis," I felt a hand grab my arm, turning me to my left. I recognized the voice from my Defense Against the Dark Arts class. It was a Ravenclaw named Dottie. "Do you want to be partners?" She continued eagerly.

"Um, sure-" I answered, indifferent to the idea. I couldn't have cared less who my partner was, the only person on my mind was y/n. Clearly Sebastian had been teasing, and I felt a tinge of hurt despite knowing that from the get go. If she wasn't dancing with me, she was out there dancing with some other boy.

Dottie and I danced awkwardly, and I was constantly tripping over her, or stepping on her feet. I felt sorry for her, but it should have been obvious that the blind guy wouldn't know how to dance.

"Are you excited?" She asked, her hand firmly on my shoulder as we glided in a small circle.

"Huh-" I answered, stumbling again.

"Are you excited? About the ball?" She clarified.

"Uh- not really," I replied. Our whole lesson was filled with this small talk. Dottie was a sweet girl, but I had no real interest in the subject of the ball unless it meant that y/n was going with me.

"Okay, well," the instructor called above the chatter. I let go of Dottie, happy to be free of this. "That was definitely something! Do keep practicing in your free time!" They encouraged.

"Well then," I mumbled to my partner, ready to make my departure.

"Wait," she said, placing her hand on my arm. I tensed up a bit from her touch- it was still unfamiliar. "Maybe we could practice again sometime."

Is she- is she asking me on a date. I stood there awkwardly, my mouth hanging open a bit from surprise. "Um-"

"I know I'm not the best dancer either, but I'm sure we could figure something out," she continued eagerly.