Chapter 18

Another sleepless night came and went swiftly.

I did not return to my dorm room, instead opting to sleep on one of the black leather lounge chairs in front of the fireplace in the Common Room. Once the morning arrived and I heard the sounds of students footsteps entering and exiting the room, I still did not move from my position, laying sideways, practically hanging off the side of the sofa. I could feel their stares, hear the small whispers as they all passed me. I couldn't blame any of them. So many people had witnessed my breakdown from the earlier night, it was only natural for them all to question my sanity.

I was questioning it myself.

Julian had stayed by my side through the night, sat, propped up against the sofa. He was able to fall asleep sometime during the early morning hours, and I was glad to know that he had gotten some rest. 

Only once the Common Room had become silent, the sounds came from the crackling fire in front of me were all that echoed off the walls, only then did I feel safe enough to sit up. It was the weekend at least, I doubt Fig or any of the other Professors would have demanded that I attend lessons had it been a weekday. But knowing what I would have to face off against that night still caused me to become nauseated.

I glanced down to see the top of Julian's head. He was still sleeping. 

A small clacking noise appeared from the stone staircase leading into the belly of the Common Room. It was quiet, but not enough that I ignored it entirely. I looked over to the source and to my surprise saw Ominis, hobbling over with a small limp, draped with an oversized black dressing gown and his wand held up in front of his face with the tiny red ball of light illuminating onto his cheek. 

He looked so much better, Nurse Blainey really was a miracle worker.

But then I remembered Anne. 

And the guilt started to pick at me.

Ominis reached the sofa in good time, considering he was struggling to walk with every other step. Somehow, he knew where to find me. I was convinced that his wand really was sentient enough to guide him to me.

"How are you feeling?" I asked him. I had not spoken since last night, which I could hardly call 'speaking'. More like yelping manically.

He smiled and bowed his head slowly.

"Better than I did two days ago. That's something at least." he replied.

I tried to return a smile, but the muscles in my face felt too heavy. All I could do was sit in silence and wait for Ominis to speak.

"Anyway, I've come to collect you. And Julian, it seems." He motioned to Julian, who was snoring now, "Black has called everyone to the Great Hall. I assume he has an announcement about-"

He could not bring himself to finish the sentence, however I knew exactly what he meant.

"You heard," I began, speaking the thoughts out loud for him, "About Sebastian."

Ominis took a moment. A tiny gulp and a sigh later, he responded.

"Yes. I did."

I looked down at the faded leather that covered the doubled chair.

"You can go ahead. We won't be long." I finally spoke.

He nodded and turned away, walking slowly back towards the staircase. I watching him ascend the spiral steps, disappearing at the top.

I did not dawdle. 

I had to wake Julian from his slumber, I wished that I could leave him to rest without interruption, but if Black was going to speak to the entire school about Sebastian's kidnapping, I knew that Julian would want to hear what our Headmaster would have to say on the events.