Protection

*Chapter 2*

In the past two days, I had the worst travelling experience of my life. Hikaru and Hikari wouldn't talk to me. Hikaru, for obvious reasons and Hikari, because she's Hikaru's twin. Takahara advised me to leave them alone and so, I did; even though I felt extremely guilty for hurting Hikaru. It's the first time we ever fought.

"We're here." Takahara announced as we stepped onto the familiar sand of the Sand Village. "How nostalgic." I murmured as I saw the village within sight. "Kivi, we better hurry up and find a place to camp. We don't know if there's going to be sandstorm tonight." Takahara said and I nodded in agreement. Hikaru and Hikari just followed us in silence as we ran towards to village.

We settled down on one of the low mountain cliffs, nearest to the Village. "It's getting dark." I thought out loud as I looked at the beautiful sky of the Sand Village. It reminds me of so many things, brings back so many memories that I can't help smiling to myself. I made a few hand signs to make a crystal tent for the night before hearing explosions echoed from the Sand Village. It was soft but my ears were able to detect a small disturbance in the air, so did Hikaru's and Hikari's.

Our heads jolted up and we eyed the Sand Village, cautiously. "What's wrong?" Takahara asked. "Shh!" Hikaru hushed him. Sure enough, we heard another explosion. "Something's wrong." I stated as my senses heightened. Takahara studied the Sand Village, "I'll go check." I quickly held onto his sleeve before he could take off. "Don't go. Please." Takahara hesitated but listened to me and stayed.

"Kivi-nee." Hikari approached me.

"What do we do?" Hikaru said, his face expressionless. He is still mad at me.

I mentally frowned but sighed and pushed the thought aside. "I'll send a few crystals around the Sand Village to see what's going on before we act." Everyone nodded and with their agreement, I held out my palm and formed five perfectly defined pink crystals. "Go now." I commanded them before they flew off into the village. I sat down quickly and made my preparations. "Crystal Technique: Crystal Mirror." The mirror that I'd always used to check on Sasori appeared before us. "You guys watched the mirror. This jutsu requires a lot of concentration." I said and they nodded. I smiled at all of them before closing my eyes and viewed the Sand Village through the eyes of my crystals.

Crystal #1:

The Sand Village came into view. Everything looks so peaceful and quiet. The crystal flew towards the Kazekage's office and something doesn't felt right. On the roof of the building, a red hair guy with a giant gourd on his back stood proudly while sand leaked from the gourd. The redhead stared down at a blonde guy wearing a black coat with red clouds on it. None of them moved a muscle until the redhead's sand started the first move when the blonde jumped onto a massive bird's back.

"That coat..." Hikaru murmured with disbelief.

Crystal #2:

The sand from the redhead kept chasing the blonde who continued to fly around the sky. The blonde flew down to the village but the trail of sand continued to chase him in immense speed. Some of the villagers were already aware of the intruder from the commotion. The chase continued as the blonde flew back up to the sky, this time more trails of sand tailed him. The redhead just stared at the intruder as he effortlessly command the sand. It's not long till the redhead joined him in the air with sand under his feet. The two started small talks before the fight began again.

"Wow..." Takahara gasped.

Crystal #3:

Outside the Kazekage's office, the sand shinobis started to panic and head into action. From their faces, something bad must have happened and led them to suspicions. One of the Sand Shinobi with purple markings on his face called out for a guy named 'Gaara' before entering the Kazekage's room, only to find it empty and found Gaara fighting the blonde intruder.

Crystals #2 & #4:

A large amount of sand rose from the village and attacked the blonde intruder. The intruder did an offense move and threw two white cranes at Gaara but Gaara managed to protect himself. The whole fight grew intense as no one backed out and let the other have the upper hand. Not long later, the blonde's intruder's arm got caught and was crushed my Gaara's sand. His blood spattered and bone crushing sounds could be heard before it revealed a missing arm.

"Oh my god..." Hikari gagged in disgust.

Crystals #1, #2 & #4 continued to view the fight from the sky.

Crystal #5:

A hunchback man wearing the same coat as the blonde intruder stood side by side with a sand shinobi at the main entrance of the Sand Village. The hunchback complained about his partner's behavior in a very hoarse voice before commanding the sand shinobi to return back to the village. "Hai, Sasori-sama." The sand shinobi said before leaving.

My eyes flew opened. Sasori? Did the sand shinobi called the hunchback Sasori? A gasp slipped out my mouth as I quickly got onto my feet. I stared at the main entrance of the Sand Village in disbelief. Sasori?

"Kivi! What's wrong?" Takahara came to my side and studied my confused self. Fortunately, the 5th crystal is only linked to my mind so Takahara and the twins didn't managed to see the scene or else, Takahara might do something unreasonable. "N-Nothing. I'm fine." I muttered.

"Kivi-nee! Look! In the sky!" Hikari called out and all of us turned to see what's the commotion is about. It was a weird looking doll, almost the size of the Kazekage's building and it was heading down towards the village. BANG! An explosion from the doll was released, causing us to look away from the bright light.

Takahara quickly looked back at the village with fear written all over his face and immediately, I went back to my crystals and saw that the village was safe from Gaara's sand but a muffled explosion was set off and it came from Gaara's absolute defense jutsu.

The admirable Kazekage thought of the village even till the end and retrieved the sand away from the village with his last bit of strength before the blonde intruder kidnapped Gaara's body.

"What's going on?" Hikaru growled as he stared at the mirror. "He kidnapped the Kazekage!" After viewing the battle, I dismissed the crystal mirror. "Did you learn anything from the battle?" I asked but my mind was still in a maze. Sasori...wearing the same coat as the man who kidnapped the Kazekage...and in that form? What's going on?

"Kivi nee-sama." I turned to look at Hikaru and tried to make myself concentrate on whatever he was about to tell me. "While we were in Konoha, I overheard Jiraiya-sama and Tsunade-sama talked about an organization called the Akatsuki. The Akatsuki members wore black coats with red clouds on it." Hikaru explained.

I felt my eyebrows knitted together in confusion. "Akatsuki?"

Hikari came behind her twin brother and tugged on his sleeve before they looked at each other and shared wordless conversations.

"If you have something to say, speak up!" Takahara's patience was wearing thin after seeing something so disastrous happened to our hometown.

"The Akatsuki...is currently going after every Jinchuuriki they can find, we don't know why." Hikaru stated as he looked at the ground, his face was twisted like he was in pain.

"But...they are extracting all the bijuus from the Jinchuuriki. The Kazekage that they captured is a Jinchuuriki. The One Tail, Shukaku." Hikari's expression matched her brother's before looking at me with fear in her eyes. "Kivi-nee, we might be next."

I stood there. My mind was blank, I couldn't come up with anything to say to comfort my beloved twins. Whatever I said wouldn't help because we all know that they are right, the Akatsuki will come after Hikaru and Hikari.

Subconsciously, I walked towards them and wrapped my arms around their necks.

"Kivi-nee, when a bijuu is extracted from the Jinchuuriki," Hikari's voice wavered.

"We die." Hikaru choked.

Takahara joined us and placed a hand on Hikaru's shoulder. "We'll protect you, no matter what."

"You two are my responsibility after all." I cooed as I repeat the words I said when I rescued them from the fire.

I made a promise to myself to protect Takahara and the twins, even if the Akatsuki were to rip me apart.