13| Abolish the Shadows

We traveled from camp to camp, back to the Grisha camp nearest the fold

We traveled from camp to camp, back to the Grisha camp nearest the fold. Back to the camp from which Alina and I were taken so many moons ago. It almost doesn't feel real as I slowly shuffle to a mirror.

The Stag's antlers protrude from my neck. At first glance it could almost be a necklace if not for the raw skin it has melded with under my tousled hair. My breath is whisked from my lungs as a familiar face appears behind me in the mirror.

"Farley?" I breathe.

I whirl around and the girl wraps her arms around my ribs. I embrace the girl quickly, tears streaming down my face.

"I'm so sorry I didn't warn you. Genya told me to. . . To tell you but I didn't think. . ." Farley says, tears streaming down her face as I push her away and wioe the tears from her cheek.

"What do you mean?" I ask.

"Genya asked me to warn you about Kirigan." Farley cries. "She told me to tell you to be careful of powerful men but I only thought she was being precocious. I didn't think. . ."

"Genya knew?" I stagger. "The king, he has to know of this betrayal."

"He's fallen I'll. Genya's done something to him I'm sure of it." Farley says, regaining her composure. "No matter, I am to get you ready."

"Ready, for what?" I ask.

"To enter the fold one more time." Farley says, avoiding my eyes as she guides me to a desk.

"We'll I guess it makes sense. That where this all started."

⊰⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅∙∘☽༓☾∘∙•⋅⋅⋅•⋅⋅⊰

I gaze at myself in the mirror painfully. My skin is flawless and my hair is up in an intricate braid. My outfit isn't a Kefta but an off the shoulder gown, showcasing the collar. I begged Farley to leave my hair down to conceal the mutilated flesh me hind my neck but she insisted that she was specifically instructed to put my hair up.

"You are special," I turn to see Kirigan slowly walking towords me. "And we're about to prove it to the world. There will be foreign dignitaries on this crossing of the fold."

"I don't want to hear this." I say, turning back to the mirror. "I want you to release Mal."

"Please." Aleksander growls. "I just want to talk to you."

"I have had enough of your lies, your manipulation." I seethe.

"And what would those be?" Aleksander says, stepping behind me so I can see him in the mirror.