Chapter Nineteen

Summer 1990

Seeing the exchange between Mo & Her best friend made me think something was going on with them but I can't be sure so I will ask Mo about it

I walked back inside the building taking the stairs up to the condo only to see the door wide opened, "Mo"

I slowly walked in to see no sign of Monique, "Mo"

I put the food down & looked around to see it empty, where could she be?

I went back in the kitchen & saw a note on the floor,

"Dear Janet, I am sorry but we can not do this anymore, I still love my husband & I want to work that out so please stay away from me & move on or things will get worse, Mo"

My eyes watered up with tears & anger, I don't know why Monique keeps playing with my emotions after everything I said to this girl telling her I love her & this is what happens but something seems completely off.

I picked up the phone dialing a number that I knew would be right here for me.

"Hello"

"Hey I need you to come get me" I cried into the phone

"Sweetie what's wrong?"

"Please just come get me" I said & told them the address.

A bit later I waited outside with my stuff as the car pulled up I wiped my tears walking over to the car putting my stuff in it & got in closing the door.

"You ok?"

I sighed shaking my head no crying, "why is my life so messed up"

"Janet.." She trailed touching my hand.

"I lost the only person that ever meant something to me then I fall for someone who can't love me the way I love them why do I make these stupid decisions." I said going crazy.

"Jan, listen why don't you come stay with me for a few days you need to get away from all this drama."

"What about my mom?" I asked

"Let me handle that plus Mariah's family isn't having the funeral until next week so that gives you a couple of days."

"Alright" She moved my hair out of my face.

I nodded hesitating, we drove to her house it was so nice it was in Glendale not too far from me but it felt good to be out of South Central for a while.

"Come on in sorry it's a little cold in here" She said walking over to the thermostat turning the air off.

I looked around the house taking it all in, I always wanted to live like this when I was younger but after so many failed dreams I let it go.

"Nice huh?" Theresa asked

"Yeah I never seen anything like this." I admitted

"I use to feel the same way when I moved here you know growing up in the hood you think this is all I will see or I wont make it out alive..." She looked over at me.

"Do you want to tell me everything?" She asked as tears came down my face.

I nodded softly, "So what happened?"

We were now sitting on the couch & I told Theresa everything I know she is my mom's girlfriend but I look at her more like my other mom & I needed someone to listen to me.

"So Lorenzo had Mariah killed?" She asked

I nodded looking down, "Yeah but he was aiming for me & now Monique got back with him."

"So that's who's condo you was at?" She asked

I nodded, "wow..." She trailed

"It's my fault Mariah died" I said starting to cry.

"No Jan, listen you made mistakes but we all do ok, maybe we should go to the police." She said

"No we can't"

"Why not?"

"Because Theresa, mom will find out & Lorenzo will kill Jax."

"Then what we have do something what if your girlfriend is in danger."

"She's not ok, we are not going to the police I need to end this shit" I said

"No you don't Janet you will get yourself killed & your mom nor I can take that pain." She said

Just then my pager went off, I pulled it off my waist band looking at the number.

It was a unknown number, "Who is that?"

"I dont know can I use the phone?"

"Yeah it's right there, I am gonna go take your things upstairs." She said & stood up grabbing my bags before looking back at me.

"Jan.."

"Yeah"

"I love you like my daughter please make the right decisions."

A single tear rolled down my face as I smiled a bit

"I will" I said

Theresa walked out the room & I walked over to the phone dialing the number.

Someone picked up on the 3rd ring, "Yo"

I knew that voice anywhere, "Yo" The voice said again, I hung up the phone confused as fuck.

I walked upstairs to the spare bedroom where Theresa was fixing the bed.

"You ok?" She asked looking back at me.

"Uh yeah, can you take me home?" I asked

"What why?" She asked

"Because I got some stuff to handle if you wont take me I will find my own way" I said starting to walk away going downstairs.

"Janet wait" Theresa said following behind me.

"What?" I asked

"What is going on?" She asked

"I know who's behind everything" I said knowing this was going to change everything.