Never Better

Chapter Thirty One- Never Better

JJ and Harley arrived at the chateau after a ten minute walk. They didn't say anything the whole time. Harley was embarrassed, and JJ didn't know what to say.

Harley hadn't stepped foot in the chateau since DCS had forced her out, three days after John B left. It had been left exactly how it was, empty bottles, pizza boxes, cigarette ash on the table. It was clear JJ had stayed there for a few nights, some of his clothes thrown around the place. Harley immediately thought of John B, and hoped wherever he was, it was a hell of a lot nicer than the chateau.

"How's your head?" JJ asked, as Harley sat down on the sofa, and JJ grabbed her and himself a beer.

"I've had no complaints" Harley said and smirked, JJ choked slightly, then rolled his eyes and laughed "it's fine, he barely touched me" she shrugged.

"I can clean it up for you" JJ offered but Harley shook her head.

"I'm fine, honestly" she insisted "I'm used to it" she said, and instantly regretted it because of the look of sympathy that immediately appeared on JJ's face.

"Just stay here. That's what I do" JJ suggested.

"I could" Harley hesitated. She wasn't sure it was a good idea staying alone with JJ every night, but then again, it was better than the alternative.

"This is your home. Stay here with me" JJ said, almost decisively "plus, John B is eighteen like, what? Next month? Then he can look after you when he's home" JJ said, happily.

She nodded, not wanting to burst his bubble. Of course she had hope everything would work out, that they would clear John B's name and he could come home, but she also knew that nothing ever went the way they planned, and it could be a while until that happened, If it ever could.

"You should get some sleep" Harley turned to JJ with a small smile. He nodded and stood, and began walking towards Harley's old room.

"Erm" Harley smirked slightly and stood "I was kidding about the head thing, we ain't sharing" she tilted her head and JJ suddenly looked flustered, then returned his face to his usual smirk.

"You sure?" He asked, and Harley rolled her eyes "I'm kidding. I've been sleeping in there. You know I figured you wouldn't mind, and it's comfier than the couch. It felt weird, sleeping in John Bs room when I thought he was, you know" JJ brought two fingers up to his throat and mimicked a knife going across, tilting his head to the side and sticking out his tongue.

"Thanks for the demonstration" Harley nodded.

"You're welcome"

"It's fine, I'll take John Bs room" Harley nodded at him.

"You sure?"

"Yeah, no, totally" she nodded again, and walked into her brothers room.

It was completely untouched, the bed still messily unmade, a pair of his converse on the floor, one tilting on its side. One of his t shirts wad screwed up on the back of his chair, and Harley walked over and picked it up.

She lifted it to her face and inhaled deeply, hugging it close to her, trying to gather every last scent of her brother that she could, something so simple that she hadn't had for almost a month. She felt her eyes well up slightly, and she suddenly felt silly, and placed the t shirt back down and wiped her face. He wasn't dead. Everything was going to be okay, she told herself.

She got undressed quickly and threw on the t shirt from the chair, and a pair of John Bs shorts, pulling the draw strings tightly so they wouldn't fall down. The majority of her own clothes were at her Dads house, and the belongings she did have at the chateau were in her room, where JJ was, and she wasn't sure if she walked in there now, feeling all vulnerable, that she'd be able to resist the side of the bed next to him.