Chapter 1

____________________________________________________________________________

"Hotaruuuu!!" Mikan shouted, pulling Megumi along as they ran towards Hotaru, who was about to enter the car. As Mikan neared Hotaru, she released her grip on Megumi and sprinted even faster, leaping towards Hotaru. "You big foolish moron!!" Mikan yelled, preparing to kick Hotaru, but Hotaru swiftly slapped her with a 'Fly Swatter'.

"Time is short. If you have something to tell me, tell me now," Hotaru stated, glancing at Mikan before turning her attention to Megumi, offering a slight smile and nod. Megumi reciprocated the gesture, while Mikan sobbed, feeling dejected by the way Hotaru treated her like a fly.

"...I received a letter from you, Hotaru. It said 'I am going to a school far from here.' But you're leaving today, and this school has all levels from elementary to high school..." Mikan complained tearfully.

"Ah... it's all true," Hotaru replied nonchalantly, meeting Mikan's gaze without a hint of guilt, which only fueled Mikan's anger. "Don't send such an important letter through slow mail!" Mikan shouted.

"If I had told you earlier, you would have caused a commotion..." Hotaru explained, glancing at the indifferent Megumi who remained silent. This prompted Mikan to complain to Megumi.

"Wahhh!! Megumi!! Hotaru is such a big insensitive fool!! Wah!!" Mikan wailed, causing Megumi to reach her limit. She decided to glare at Hotaru, who understood the message and turned to Mikan. "Silly Mikan... you don't have to cry like this. I will be back for summer and winter vacations. Besides, we will write letters," Hotaru said expressionlessly, wiping away Mikan's tears. Megumi, amused by the situation, couldn't help but smile.

"Let's pretend this tortoise is a farewell gift. Be good now," Hotaru said, patting Mikan's head. She then approached Megumi, hugging her tightly. "Please take care of her for me," Hotaru requested before getting into the car. As she waved goodbye to the villagers, she drove away.

Mikan was left in tears, so Megumi reluctantly walked beside her and offered a half-hug, causing Mikan to cry even harder. "Hotaru is the biggest fool," Megumi thought to herself.

Mikan wrote letters every other day, while Hotaru sent a postcard six months ago. "Hotaru has become rather lazy," Grandpa Nonno commented, scratching his chin. Only Megumi remained indifferent to Hotaru's disappearance.

"Hotaru, you heartless brat, leaving your wife and daughter for the city!" Mikan shouted at the window, provoking the teacher to throw an eraser at her. Megumi, who was taller than the other kids in the classroom, felt annoyed. Why did Mikan keep referring to herself as Megumi's daughter? Megumi pouted slightly and glared at Mikan from inside the classroom after the teacher instructed her to leave.