Chapter 5

____________________________________________________________________________

"I formally welcome you to Alice Academy, and congratulations!" Narumi exclaimed, while the students around Mikan reluctantly raised their hands, not sharing her enthusiasm.

"Congratulations on your official enrollment. Normally, I would introduce you to the headmaster, but... the headmaster is quite busy, so it's practically impossible to meet him. However, you will be able to start attending classes officially from tomorrow onwards. Tonight, you'll stay in the dorms," Narumi explained, and Mikan's smile widened knowing she would be sharing a room with Hotaru and Megumi. But her happiness was short-lived as Narumi interrupted her.

"And Mikan, now that your enrollment is official, for a while, you won't be allowed to contact anyone outside the school, not even your family," Narumi stated with a beaming smile. Mikan froze her attempt to hug Hotaru halted.

"Not allowed..." Mikan muttered, taken aback. Narumi cheerfully confirmed, "Yes, that's correct. Starting now."

"Why?" Mikan shouted in frustration. "I brought Megumi and left without informing my grandpa. I want to see him before I start school here," Mikan explained, pleadingly. Narumi offered a half-hearted apology, seemingly unconcerned about her situation. "But this is a school policy."

Mikan began to contemplate how the other students must have felt in similar circumstances. She realized that everyone had to endure this restriction. She sighed, trying to appear mature, even though she knew Megumi would have given her a head slap for her immaturity. "I understand... um, how long is a while'?" Mikan asked, curious about the duration of the restriction.

Narumi, still wearing a smile, responded, "Hmm, I'm not quite sure." His answer left Mikan speechless. She grabbed his clothes and tears welled up in her eyes. At that moment, Yuu came up with a suggestion for Mikan.

"You can give your letters to a teacher, and the school will send them for you. Even if it's just a letter, if you explain everything thoroughly, I'm sure your grandfather will understand. If you do your best at this school and become a good student, the school will recognize your efforts and allow you to see your grandfather," Yuu explained. Mikan's thoughts turned to her grandfather, and she snapped out of her despair. "I'll do my best!" she declared. "I'll write lots of letters, so please send them to my grandpa!"