Chapter 3: Getting Information

{Recommended song: Rotten to the Core from Descendants, or any other good villain song}

From a optimal vantage point hidden safely behind a tree, Mimic stared at the base ahead of him. He took a deep breath.

He'd made so much effort to get off of Eggman's radar. After his last failure, he knew there would be no forgiveness.

And now he was about to walk right into Eggman's lair.

There was no other option. His fight with Shadow proved he'd made a formidable enemy, one possibly more dangerous than Whisper. And one he knew nothing about.

If anyone would have information, it would be Eggman. Unfortunately, Starline was no longer around to help him access the Eggnet. He'd have to find another way. His own way.

He closed his eyes, concentrated hard, and willed himself to transform. It was easier when he'd had a recent interaction with the person, especially if he'd touched them and got a connection, but he could do it from memory as well. And he had very distinct memories of this person.

He glanced down at the red suit covering his now-pudgy waist. Perfect. He ran his fingers through his thick, bushy mustache.

"Doctor, thank you for helping me get into your own base," he chuckled.

The real Eggman had flown out with a group of robots on some mission. It looked like he wouldn't be back for a while. The perfect time to make a move.

Mimic-Eggman strode confidently to the gate. The guards were quick to let him through. This was about as easy as it could get.

Once inside, he explored around until he found a computer room. He walked over and touched the keyboard.

The computer buzzed as a pop-up covered the screen.

PLEASE ENTER PASSWORD

Mimic-Eggman groaned. He wasn't really a tech guy. The Diamond Cutters had always been more about infiltration and force than tech.

The thought of his former team made him grit his teeth. The plan to get rid of them would have been so perfect, if it hadn't been for Whisper. He'd never expected that she would have turned into such a powerful adversary all by herself.

Well, that's what he got for showing any sort of mercy and not killing her on the spot.

Mimic-Eggman punched in a few attempts at passwords.

WRONG PASSWORD. TRY AGAIN

Mimic-Eggman slammed his hand on the desk and growled under his breath. There had to be an easier way...

He heard movement from outside and peered into the hall. A small, cube-shaped yellow robot and a round red one were coming down the corridor, pushing a cart of some sort of canisters. They made whistling noises as they worked.

Just what he needed.

"You two!" Mimic-Eggman said. "Get in here."

"Back so soon, boss?" The red bot stared at him.

"Sonic beat you already?" asked the yellow one.

"Of course not!" he said in a angry voice. But he had to force himself to stay in character and not start laughing. As powerful as the Eggman was, he still couldn't win against that hedgehog. In hindsight, it might have been better to have stayed on the Resistance side. At least then he would only have one of them as enemies.

But he was here now. Back to the matter at hand. "I just returned for a moment. I forgot something." He ushered the two bots into the control room. "I need you to pull up all the information we have on Shadow the Hedgehog."

"What for?"

"I don't keep you around to ask questions. Just do it!"

"Yes, sir!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As they put in the password and began typing, Cubot leaned over and whispered to Orbot, "Can't he just do it himself?"

"Of course he could, but I'd advise we just do as he says. You know how he gets if we complain."

Cubot's memory chip flicked through a variety of scenes of Eggman yelling, throwing things, and whacking them with whatever object was handy. He shuddered and began typing faster.

Orbot looked back at Eggman. "Now that you say it, though, there's something strange about the boss today."

"Yeah, he's not yelling as much."

Before they could ponder it further, the file appeared onscreen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mimic-Eggman stepped forward. He brushed the bots aside and began scrolling through the information that popped up.

He skimmed folder after folder. These notes about Shadow's abilities and strengths would come in handy, but he was looking for something deeper. Information about allies? That would definitely help. Still, he'd already seen exactly how much Shadow paused when it came to fighting fake versions of his friends. He needed some real weakness, something he could truly exploit.

Mimic paused at a folder marked:

"Maria."