Chapter 8: Redemption

{Recommended songs: Never Surrender by Skillet, Deteriorate by Demon Hunter, That Changes Everything by 12 Stones, and My Heartstrings Come Undone by Demon Hunter)

  They followed the trail left behind by Mimic in his haste to get away. Whisper's wisps flew above the trees, occasionally popping down to report a clue or a sighting of the blue octopus.

   Whisper's stride was strong and forceful, a purpose to her step. Shadow could tell she was intent on tracking down Mimic once and for all. Tangle kept close to her, quieter than usual, and was quick to give her a hand as she scrambled over tree roots and gullies. Her forehead stayed furrowed, especially when Whisper quietly brushed her hand aside and continued her march, using her wispon as a walking stick in rough parts.

   For once in his life, Shadow trailed behind. He never did that. But truth be told, he was still a little shaky. He'd had a lot of episodes, but he couldn't remember one that was ever that intense, that dark. One that'd ever brought him that close to completely losing it.

  And he was just plain worn out. He hadn't really slept the last two nights, and even though he liked to deny it, maybe even the Ultimate Lifeform needed some rest.

   Besides, the girls probably wouldn't want him walking with them after everything that has happened. He was surprised they hadn't made him leave them.

   Yes, Whisper had asked if they were okay. They had both agreed they were. He held no bad feelings towards her for what happened. Of course she was in the right for pulling a weapon on Mimic; it wasn't her fault he had trauma about that specific scenario. And Whisper didn't seem to have any anger towards him. Not that he would blame her if she did. He was just glad he hadn't hurt her.

   But it was one thing to just not be angry, and another thing to continue to trust him to continue the mission alongside her. If Whisper was really able to do both, there was something very special about her.

   And he wasn't sure he deserved it.

   Even in her aggressive march onwards, she kept looking back at him. When he lagged ever further behind, she slowed and came to walk next to him, a gentle urge to stay caught up with them, not to trail behind.

   Such a little gesture. But after everything, the fact that she was still making sure he was okay even in the little things meant so much. She should've just abandoned him the second he freaked out on her back with Mimic. But she didn't.

   Tangle paused ahead of them. "Guys, do you think we should take a little break?"

   Whisper and Shadow shook their heads in unison.

   Tangle stared at them, forehead wrinkled in concern. "But you're both looking really worn out after last night..."

   "Can't lose Mimic," Whisper said. She gave Shadow another look, and when he nodded, continued walking. Shadow followed.

   Tangle sighed worriedly but followed them. Shadow appreciated the concern, but he and Whisper were both soldiers. As long as the enemy was still out there, they had to keep fighting.

   They reached the summit of a small hill where they could get a better view. Shadow could just make out the figure of the octopus far ahead of them. Out of range of Whisper's wispon.

   Whisper glanced over the countryside before them and the direction Mimic was heading.  Her eyebrows raised. "Know where he's going," she said. She motioned them forward, speeding up as much as the rough terrain would allow.