Chapter Six: Pain

Kokushibo could feel his throat closing as he walked behind that man. Suddenly, the woods around them morphed with the sound of a biwa, shifting into a large wooden room with only a table and floor mat.

"Care for some tea?" Muzan asked, taking a seat and pouring two cups, placing one on the other side of the table while he calmly drank from his. Kokushibo sat and picked up his cup, staring at the swirling brown liquid, eventually taking a sip to cure his drying throat.

"Tell me their names." Muzan says after placing down his cup. "Pardon?" Kokushibo questioned, caught by surprise. "Those boys. Tell me their names." Muzan said calmly.

"Muichiro and Yuichiro." Kokushibo answered hesitantly. "Twins, am I correct?" Muzan asked. "Yes. Twins." Kokushibo looked at him, trying to appear as calm as possible his hands gripped his kimono at the sides to stop them from shaking.

"Ahh." Muzan nodded, pouring himself another glass and taking another sip. "Are you worried?" Muzan said, looking down at Kokushibo's clenched hands. "...yes." Kokushibo answered, knowing full well that Muzan could read his thoughts and tell if he was lying or not.

"You think I will kill them, don't you?" Kokushibo didn't dare say anything, instead he bit down in the inside of his cheek so hard that the metallic blood spilled onto his tongue.

Muzan smiled.

"I won't kill them." Kokushibo immediately felt his shoulders lighten, so much so that he let out a breath that he didn't even know he was holding in. "However," Muzan started again. "I prohibit you from seeing them further."

All of a sudden, all the muscles in Kokushibo's neck failed, making his head fall to look at the ground. All six of his eyes widened and his ears only picking up a mind breaking ringing. "Do you understand, Kokushibo?" Muzan continued, still calm.

Kokushibo swallowed. "...yes, lord Muzan." Muzan smirked, and put his hands together. "Good. You may leave now." And with a snap of his fingers and the pluck of a biwa, Kokushibo was gone and in the middle of a forest.

"Ha..." Kokushibo let out a dry sound. He stood still for minutes, the ringing piercing into his head like someone grabbed him and was trying to crack his head open.

He stood up, and started to walk. He didn't know where, or why, but he walked nonetheless. After what felt like hours he arrived a riverbed, and simply laid down.

Kokushibo didn't need to sleep, but he felt so tired that he simply closed his eyes and let his thoughts swirl. 'The boys will be fine. He won't hurt them. Perhaps me being away from them... is the best choice.'

***

Kokushibo stared at the small wooden house, unblinking and unmoving. The candle light flickered in the window as the twins father was finishing telling an extravagant nighttime tale.

When it was over, the candle was blown out and their father left the room. Muichiro and Yuichiro immediately jumped out of bed and pulled the window open, locking on to Kokushibo immediately, and jumping out the window to run towards him.

Kokushibo got to his knees and tightly hugged the boys. After some seconds, he stood up. "I'm sorry, children. I have to go." "Hm?" Yuichiro looked up be the side. "But we have to do more sword stuff!" He said in protest.

"I'm sorry. I can't come back anymore." Kokushibo turned away. "But... won't you be back tomorrow?" Muichiro asked. "...No. I doubt that you... will ever see me again." Yuichiro furrowed his brow. "What do you... never see you again? But we're... we're family! Y-you can't just leave!" He ran and grabbed Kokushibos kimono.

"Leaving... don't leave..." Muichiro muttered, tears starting to well in his eyes. "I'm... sorry." Kokushibo shakily uttered, taking heavy steps forward. "Don't.. don't go!" Muichiro cried out and grabbed his left leg, while Yuichiro still pulled on his right arm.

"Let go!" Kokushibo pulled forward, running as fast as his heavy as lead legs would carry him, leaving the sound of crying behind him, as well as his lineage. "Goodbye... children." Kokushibo felt his eyes burn. "I am... truly sorry."