Chapter one

*beep beep beep beep

I hit my alarm angry as my head pounded over the long lingering sound of the alarm. I checked the time and saw it read 4:00 time to deliver the papers.

I had been doing this for a couple months now ever since my religious parents thoughts I was old enough to make a real change to the community and repay god for all his work.

I wish they chose a job that featured later. I was known as being perfect, I babysat, delivered papers, I did pretty well at school except math and science, I did dance and soccer for verity and I played the piano.

That wasn't enough though, my parents craved a perfect daughter so they got a tutor and forced me to go to church every Sunday.

Although that was for another reason as well.

I put on a white pleated skirt and a blue knitted sweater over top that was tight around my body. I put my cross necklace around my neck and brushed my hair pairing it with a white hairband. I put on tights and my tennis shoes and headed out grabbing my messenger bag.

I yawned as I threw various papers at houses. I made my way down streets thinking of everything I had to do today. I wasn't thinking quit right and went down to a tunnel I didn't usually head down. I hopped of my bike and begun to walk before I spotted a girl being threatened by a group of boys.

I debated walking of but knew that would be wrong and cowardice. "It doesn't look like she likes that, let her go" I let out in the loudest voice I could muster. I tried sounding firm but winced as I realised my old stutter came out again as it usually did in situations like this.

The boys turned to look at me and whilst I wasn't looking one came up behind my grabbing my shoulders forcing me to drop my bike. I yelled out in shock and they laughed.

"Your not brave little girl, don't act like it" I started breathing quickly and the girl gave me a helpless look.

"You know, we were thinking about spicing things up a bit and you look exactly what we were wanting." The boy said coming close to me and whispering the words into my ears.

I gulped and tried to speak "y-y-yo"
"Spit it out s,s,snake" The boy said with the Freddie krueger mask. The ones behind him started laughing. I remembered what my speech therapist said.

"tu me laisses seu" I said switching to French so the words would come out. The boys look at me confused before the Freddie guy grabbed me by my front and says "what did you say?" I'm thinking of what to do when we hear a voice.

"Nice costume dickward" I look to see where it's coming from and a girl I know as Mac Coyle, the towns personal terrorist, at-least according to my mother.

My heart starts beating fast as the two get more and more angry at each other until eventually Mac gets out a firework and let's it go. I rose this as my chance and run Kj close behind me.

We all stand together outside the tunnel panting. "Thanks for the backup in there" Kj says smiling and looking at Mac. "Yeah thank you" I say looking at her. She had brown hair that was short and green eyes.

She was quit pretty I thought. "I'm surprised princess didn't have it, you must be use to dealing with boys?" She said to me raising my eyebrows and smirking.

I felt embarrassed and my face grew redder. "That was unnecessary" KJ said coming over to me.
"It's fine, I'm Grace" I say holding out my hand for Mac to shake. She looks at it surprised but doesn't shake it.

I lift it down awkwardly and brush my hand on my skirt. "Your Mac right?" I say to her.
"Yeah what about it?" She says back smirking and taking a step closer to us all. I look down at my shoes as her and Erin talk about her being the first papergirl. I start thinking that I need to do my rounds when I remembered