Chapter 34 - Capra

You stared at the darkened ceiling. Omega would be back with Sister. She would know you'd fled, she would be searching for you—you tasty snackrafice, you. Scooby Doo took a dark turn in watching... should have gone with number two; you should always go with number two. And still, stupidly, it wasn't what had you up.

Terzo was in his bed less than a metre away, and an hour beforehand, you had let your head lean on his shoulder watching a noughties kid's movie. Your head was still turning your future over and over again. Pack of ghouls, freedom—only then were you painfully aware of what was missing. As of that moment, your future wasn't secured; you trusted Terzo and his ghouls to do their best to protect you... and still, you might not see the morning after the hunter's moon. Fuck it! You thought so with gall—but in reality, your decision made you feel meek.

"Terzo?" You asked quietly enough not to wake him if he'd fallen asleep.

"______?" He whispered your name in the dark, and you could hear it echo in the memory of him behind the closet door.

You swallowed, feeling a tingle in your spine. You squeezed your fists and clamped your eyes shut. "If I were to ask you to come to me... would you?"

"I..." you heard his sheets shift, then stay. "No, Tesoro, I do not want to be your regret."

It was painful, but it was right. Your jaw worked.

"You and Sodo will work it out, Pittore," he said softly.

"Sodo?" You tried to laugh, "At the moment fucking him is the last thing on my mind. If I want him later, once he has grovelled for forgiveness, maybe I'll ask him. No, I asked you because..." your voice trailed out.

"Because, _____?"

You licked your lips. This was all making you more vulnerable than it should have. You should have taken the denial on the chin, curled over, and fallen asleep. "I, uh, have been thinking of the future, or maybe I have always overthought it and solely lived in what might be. I've already decided who you are, how you'll hurt me, and how I'll regret you before knowing anything. Now that my tomorrow is... questionable, I suppose, I wonder if I forget to live in the present by already assuming the future... sorry, one a.m. thoughts."

"I see nothing wrong with your one a.m. thoughts, ______," he murmured, and you heard a shift in his mattress. "Are you sure?"

"I... if I am sure of anything, Terzo, it's I've wanted to fuck you since the moment we locked eyes in that study. Or maybe it was when I caught you off guard, and you laughed behind your office door?"

There was a snap of light, and Terzo had turned on a warm-coloured lamp beside you. He stood by your side, eyes downcast to take you in. Anticipation fluttered your stomach.

"You said, 'Sorry, I'm an artist'," his lip tugged with fondness. He came to kneel on one knee to take one of your hands. He kissed gently at your knuckles, sending electricity through you.

"Do you want me, Terzo?" You turned to him.

"Yes, Pittore... you burn me," he murmured so that his lips grazed your skin. "I am an, uh absolute fucking mess for you," his brow furrowed in torture.

You leaned closer to where he kneeled; he stretched to meet you, and your lips met. You tasted him only briefly at first. Small, painful self-indulgences. You were finally allowing yourself; you eased into it. He leaned further in, touching your throat. You caved, wanting more and leaving you both breathless.

He closed his eyes with both knees sunk to the ground; leaning his forehead against yours, he whispered to your lips, "Tesoro, il tuo bacio brucia le mie labbra come fuoco infernale."