Chapter 7

Elizabeth’s P.O.V.

I woke up at six a.m. like usual when my alarm went off and went for a jog. I had a lot going on my mind and decided to go for new scenery. Instead of driving up to the peak like I usually do, I just went around my neighborhood. I needed a break from everything. From school, prom, and my mom. For once I just wanted a day off, where I had it all to myself. I jogged around for about an hour and a half before I went to Starbucks. I stood in line as I waited for my turn.

“What can I get you?” asked the barista.

“Can I have a large cup of coffee and a croissant?” I ordered.

“Okay. That’ll be $5.27.”

I handed her my money and went to take a seat at one of the empty tables. I sat a table by a window and waited for my order. I stared wanderlessly out the window, thinking about who the new band could be. Could it be a band I like? Or are they so new that I never even heard of them before? What if it’s the band that Harry’s in? I hope it’s not the last one because then that would be really awkward.

I heard the barista call my order. I got up to get my coffee and croissant, as I was heading towards the exit; I bumped into a freakishly tall person. He was wearing dark sunglasses and a beanie to tame what seemed like unpolished curls.

“Excuse you,” I said a bit rudely.

“Oh, uhh… s-sorry about that,” he stuttered as he rushed to get past me, not giving me a second glance. There was a strange feeling being near him, as if I should know him or something.

I ignored the feeling and headed towards a nearby park. I sat on a park bench and drank my coffee. I stared carelessly at the children on the playground. They looked so carefree and were oblivious of what’s to come. They don’t know what the future holds for them nor do they care at this age. All they care about right now is having fun.

~~~Flashback~~~

“Higher Harry. Push me higher,” I screamed to the nine year old Harry.

“But you’re too heavy. I can’t push you any higher,” he said as he tried to push me higher.

I laughed at Harry and his weak attempts. He’s been pushing me on the swings for a long time and he should be tired by now. He knows how much I like playing on the swings and therefore didn’t want to upset me. He didn’t care if he was worn out, he would continue pushing me until I got bored.

I smiled as the sun shone down on me, the wind blowing through my hair. Harry gave me another push and as I was going up, I slowly loosened my grasp on the chain. As I got to the highest point, I completely let go and went flying through the air. I hurdled through the air and tumbled slowly to the ground.

My body instantly made contact with the ground. I lied motionless, savouring the moment. I glanced over to look at Harry and saw his panicked face. He rushed over to me and within a matter of seconds he was on his knees next to me.

“Harry,” I croaked, which sounded like I was in a lot of pain.

“Elizabeth, I’m so sorry. I should’ve never pushed you that high,” he began apologizing. Poor boy, he thinks I got hurt. 

“My ankle hurts,” I told him.

“Come on, let’s get you home,” he said.

He picked me up off the ground and helped me walk home. He wouldn’t let go of me only until I was lying on my couch at home.

“Kids, is that you? I have fresh baked cookies,” my mom yelled from the kitchen.

At the smell of cookies, I hopped off the couch and ran to the kitchen. I arrived there long before Harry. When he came in the kitchen, he had a confused look on his face. I forgot I told him I hurt my ankle.