Chapter 12

“No.”

“Yes.”

“No. It’s a death trap.”

“But you promised.”

“Promises are meant to be broken,” Jake said, trying to avoid riding a roller coaster with me.

“Not this one.” He was irritating me by the second. What is scary about a ninety second ride?

I stormed out of the line, my hands crossed over my chest. I sat down on a nearby bench. My foot was tapping repeatedly against the hard concrete.

“Are you really mad at me?” Jake asked as he took a seat next to me.

“Yes,” I said simply.

“You know how I feel about them.”

“Then why’d you promise me?” I asked him. I turned in my seat so I could face him.

He let out a sigh, running his fingers through his hair. “Because I know how much you love them. I put my fear aside so I can go ride it with you. But when we were standing in line, I couldn’t bring myself to do it anymore.”

I gave him a small smile and hugged him. He wrapped his arms around me and buried his face in the crook of my neck. I felt safe in his embrace. Like nothing could get to me or bring me down. But something about being in his arms didn’t feel right. It felt as if something was missing. Like I should be in someone else’s arms.

I pulled away. Sitting back down, I leaned my head against his shoulder. He put his arm around me and pulled me closer to him. His head rested atop mine as we sat on the bench seemed like we were a perfect couple. But we were far from being a perfect couple. One of the many reasons was that we weren’t even a couple to begin with.

A laugh coming from a distance had broken into my thoughts. A foreign sensation filling my whole body at the sound of it. I looked up to see Louis and Harry coming towards us. They smiled brightly as they made their way towards us.

“Elizabeth,” Harry said, a confused looked etched on his face. “Why aren’t you in line with the others? You love rollercoasters.”

“Because you can’t go on it alone. You need a partner,” Jake spoke up from next to me. “And I’m not much of a fan of them.”

A look at Louis, I could tell he was up to something. The glint in his eyes proved I was right.

“I have an idea.” I looked at Louis cautiously as he spoke. “Since these two are scared of going on it and if you love roller coasters as much as I think you do, I wouldn’t mind going with you.”

My eyes widened. I couldn’t believe the words coming out of Louis’ mouth. It took me a moment to form a proper sentence. “You don’t have to Louis. I’m fine with not going.”

“Well too bad. You don’t have a choice.” Louis pulled me by my arm and dragged me to where everyone was already getting seated. Luckily we made it before they closed the gate. All the seats were already taken when we got there except one. The one in the front to be exact. That’s the scariest seat which is why no one probably sat there. It feels as if you’re going to fly out of the seat, even if you’re properly harnessed. For that reason, it was my favorite.

I noticed Louis frantically searching for any other seats but there were none. He headed towards the exit but I clasped his hand before he could leave.

“I think we should wait for the next round. There aren’t any other seats,” he tried to reason.

“There’s still one available,” I told him calmly.