𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐓𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

┏━━━ ❀ ━━━┓
𝐀 𝐇𝐨𝐥𝐢𝐝𝐚𝐲
┗━━━ ❀ ━━━┛
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Thursday, November 23rd, 2017

Resting my chin on top of Wes's shoulder, he readjusts himself so I'm settling more comfortably on his back. With my arms wrapping around his neck, I let myself fully rest against him.

Through campus he carries me, humming a melody I don't quite recognize, yet feels familiar. By the time we reach the back side of the science Lab building, the sun has fallen out of view.

I slip back to the surface of the earth and he holds out his hand gesturing for me to go first. "Lady's first." He says.

A gentleman? Or an opportunity to see my ass? Doesn't matter to me. I'm already halfway up the ladder of the fire escape.

The first window we come to is already open and as we climb through, there is a trail of arrows marked with duct tape on the floor, guiding us to the stairs.

On the roof is where we end up. A gathering of outcasts who had stayed behind on campus for the holiday. 20 to 25 people, give or take?

The holiday being: Thanksgiving

That uniquely American holiday that conjures up this image of a family gathered around the table, sharing a meal and expressing gratitude for their blessings.

However, in my eyes, this day takes on a more somber tone, illuminating the tensions and cracks that exist beneath the surface of what appears to be an idealistic gathering.

Luce begged me to go with her, so she could have support for when she tells her parents about the little embryo growing in her belly but then she took back her invitation when she heard I was going out with Wes (even though I'm not).

Doesn't matter though, I wouldn't have gone anyway. I've met her mom and she's a judgemental bitch.

As the festivities on the roof continue, the air fills with the sound of music blasting, laughter echoing, and people drinking.

I grab a beer from the cooler and take a sip, scanning the crowd for familiar faces. It's then that I spot her, sitting alone on the edge of the roof, staring out into the night sky. Lizzie.

But instead of finding myself separating from the partygoers to be at her side, I stay and end up with Wes, Julian and Viv.

It's only when Sloane shows up that I want to leave. It's not quite her presents that fucks with me. It's the way she sits beside Lizzie, her grubby ass hand on the small of her back.

It's just a thought. A second of bad judgment, where I want to kick her off the roof. But it's gone as fast as it surfaces, in a flash.

"You guys wanna get out of here?" I ask the three of them, but I look to her, knowing her opinion is the only one that matters.

"Yeah, this parties lame." Viviette says and I watch her hand slide down into his hand. She leads Julian towards the door. Upon passing the small group of peeps, I'm stopped momentarily lost in her piercing green eyes.

"Hey you," she says, a small smile playing at the corners of her lips. So contagious.

"Hey me," I say, catching a case of the smiles. She tilts her head, looking at me for a moment, her eyes searching mine.

"Are you leaving?" Lizzie asks, most likely already knowing the answer.

"Yes." I look to see Wes waiting at the door. I take a step past her, feeling her eyes on me. I turn back, meeting her gaze and ask "Are you coming?"