[13] Confession

She opened her eyes, blinking twice to clear her vision as well as the tears that were gathered in her eyes. White light hit her and it took her some time to get used to it.

She felt her hand being held in someone's and she tried to tug it out but the grip softened, a thumb gently rubbing against her palm. It didn't give her pain so she tilted her head to the side to see who it was sitting next to her.

Tim's concerned blue eyes met hers and seeing him there, she felt her heart wrench in pain. He had put himself on the line but kept her safe once again by going directly against Romero.

He wasn't supposed to deal with that part of her life yet he was still there.

Sitting beside her with his hand holding hers in a gentle and comforting grip.

Her eyes welled up and he edged closer to console her. Her arms reached out to him, holding onto his shoulders as she sat up and hugged him. He held her cautiously, aware of the cut on her back that was covered with a bandage but her grip on him was tight as if afraid he would vanish if she let go of him.

The tears that she had been holding back escaped her and she held onto him as she cried, letting go of all the smoke building up inside her.

"It's alright, Ro, you're safe," he whispered, his hand gently stroking her hair as he let her bury herself in his comforting warmth.

When she pulled back slightly, her hands cupped his face, watery brown eyes looking at him tenderly. She hadn't ever thought she would find someone like him yet there they were, walking the thin line between reality and pretense.

The words she had written in her contract seemed to be mocking her right then. It seemed she was the one who had caught feelings for the man in front of her. Or perhaps it was her heart acting up because he was the only one who had supported her and helped her get out of the terrible situation she was stuck in due to Romero.

But thinking of Romero made her face pale again and Tim realized the reason as he answered, "he won't be able to get to you."

"But... Where is he?"

"He was injured too so he's being kept under the police's custody in Arkham State Hospital. After he recovers, he will be trialed for this case."

"Case...? Trial...?" Hearing that had only made her more worried.

"You don't have to worry about anything. You defended yourself and if you hadn't, he would have killed you," he tried to reassure her, bringing her hands down in his own, "don't blame yourself. You did the right thing."

She knew his words were a relief to hear but that couldn't change the truth. If Romero was taken to court, she would get dragged along as well. But for the time being, she decided to focus on Tim's comforting words only.

She could deal with the consequences when the time came.

Right then, she wanted to dissolve in the very brief moment of peace she felt at being free from Romero's clutches.

"You should rest," he gently made her lay down on the bed, his hand stroking her head again, "I am staying right here. You can go to sleep."

"It's fine... I will be fine. You can go if you have anything else to do," she tried to free him from the obligation of staying with her.

"No, I am staying," he repeated, pulling his chair closer to her, his fingers running gently through her messy hair as he worked on disentangling the strands, "close your eyes."

"But I want to stay awake. I want to talk to you."

He nodded, "I have a lot to tell you too. But not right now. You must recover and for that, you need to take proper rest."