[21] Running Out Of Time

Colin Donnelley hadn't wanted to go along with the plan his uncle had come up with but the same couldn't be said for his mother Anya.

He knew she wanted revenge on the Donnelley siblings and for good reason too but deep down, he had a feeling that Roxanne wasn't to be blamed entirely for everything that went wrong. In his way, he had tried multiple times to convince Anya not to dig up old graves but with Adrian's recovery and his own motivation to take revenge, there was nothing much he could do.

He hadn't been at home when Adrian had taken Roxanne away. And now that he had returned and found out that Roxanne was gone, he could see that if he didn't act fast, his aunt would suffer drastically.

"Ma, this is not right," he tried to convince her for what seemed to be the hundredth time, "you promised me that you wouldn't do anything to hurt her. You gave me your word."

"You and I have nothing to do with this. Nothing, you understand," Anya was slightly shaking as well, feeling the guilt of giving Roxanne up to her brother who was definitely not going to let her go unscathed. 

But she was still conflicted about it all. Roxanne was part of a family that had taken a lot from her and she couldn't risk waiting until Colin got placed at the stake as well. Her son was all she had left and couldn't bear to lose him.

That was the reason she had agreed with Adrian's plan to execute revenge, knowing that once both Roxanne and Romero were out of the picture, all of the Donnelley fortune would go to her son and no one would dare threaten his life.

Perhaps then they would truly be safe.

She was convincing herself that everything she had done so far was to guarantee the safety of both herself and her son. Revenge was a factor driving her brother forward not her.

"Colin, where are you going?" She held onto her son's arm, stopping him from leaving the house.

"To bring her back. You and Uncle Adrian are being stupid, I can't just sit by and do nothing," his eyes were determined and for the first time ever, Anya felt that she saw the same spark in him that was quite a characteristic of the Donnelleys.

He truly was Romero's son; once he made up his mind to do something, not even his own mother could stop him.

And just like every other Donnelley, no matter how twisted the entire family was, Colin too was choosing to save his aunt. She should have taken that into consideration.

"You're just like them," she let go of his arm, a pained look taking over his face, "I should have known that just like every other Donnelley, you can't let them meet their fate. You too have to intervene..."

"Ma, don't forget, you are a Donnelley too. I would do the same for you that I am trying to do for Auntie Rox," he remarked, "please don't try to stop me."

However, before he could leave, Adrian returned and found out what he was going to do. The two of them got into a heated argument which resulted in Adrian forcefully locking Colin up in his room. 

But that couldn't stop him from doing what he intended to, he was no longer a child who could be silenced and stowed away after a harsh scolding.

He still had Roxanne's phone on him and he knew there would be one person willing to help her out no matter what the stakes were. 

But first, he had to get out of there. So putting the phone safely in his pocket, he opened the window and checking that no one was watching him, he escaped from his room.

***

Tim was anxious.

He was in Edinburgh with Jason and his team but they were unable to track down Adrian Castellan. It was almost as if he had vanished as soon as they had arrived and no one knew where to find him.

Tim also knew that by every passing second, they were running out of time. Roxanne could be in danger and the fact that he had been unable to contact her as well was making him twice more worried.

All those worrisome thoughts were plaguing him until his phone rang and he was shocked to see the incoming call from Roxanne's number.

He stood up immediately and Jason turned to face him. "What happened?"

"I have to take this call, I'll be right back."

He nodded, turning his attention back to the suspect so Tim stepped out of the room and quickly answered the phone.

"Roxanne, where are you?"

An unfamiliar but young male voice spoke up, "Mister Drake, I am Colin Donnelley, her nephew. She came to our house a few days ago but I'm afraid she's in danger right now."

"In danger? What happened?"

"I will send you a location. Please go there as fast as possible and bring fire extinguishers."

"What...?" Tim couldn't understand why the boy was being so vague. But it felt as if he was hiding somewhere and making that call in secret.

"Please save Auntie Rox," his voice was urgent, "I will meet you there..."

Before Tim could ask any further, a clatter sounded as if the phone had fallen from the boy's hands. 

The call disconnected and Tim checked his phone to see that Colin had sent a location that was surprisingly close to where they were at the moment. That was the only lead they could have in that case and it was risky too assuming that the youngest Donnelley was also involved and luring them into a trap.

But he couldn't risk not following the lead either and by the way Clin had mentioned fire extinguishers, it could only mean that the situation was much worse for him to deal with on his own.

"Who were you talking to?" Jason stepped in, pausing to see the pallor on his face.

"Colin Donnelley, her nephew... We have to leave right now. I will explain on the way."

The clock was ticking and there was very little time left. He had to get to Roxanne before time ran out.

***