VI. CHAPTER SIX

.six.

꒱࿐♡ ˚.*ೃ

season one, episode four; summer heat

"Rosie! Rosemary!" Andrea called from the kitchen as Rose walked inside with Conrad, the two had just grabbed a bucket of clams. Its the Fourth of July, and they were hosting a party.

She ignores her mother and instead looks to Susannah and Laurel, both wearing shocked expressions.

Her mother cocks her head to the side. "You're doing the deb ball?"

Conrad looked to the person he's grown closer to over the past month, someone who he's starting to consider a best friend, "You are?"

Rosemary glanced at Conrad, then turned to Susannah and her mother, "Yeah, if Sue can get me in this late. I can go dress shopping tomorrow."

Susannah hugged her, "Yes! Of course I can get you in, I'll call the organisers right now, they should still be at the club."

Rose laughed as she hugged the woman back, taking note of the suspicious look Conrad was giving her.

"Did you say dad isn't coming?" Conrad asks his mom. He and Rose had heard part of the conversation before they walked in.

"Mmm-hm."

Rose watches as Conrad smiles to himself about it, nudging him on the arm, "Don't look too happy about it, Con."

She knows his dad is an asshole and that Conrad practically hates him for forcing him to do football for so long, so she doesn't actually mean what she says.

Conrad's smile stretches even bigger when he glances at Rose, but Jeremiah gives him a look, "What're you smiling over there for?"

"No reason." Rose laughs under her breath, quiet enough that only Conrad hears her, and he sends her a smile.

Everyone sets up for the party, and Rose is just counting down the minutes until her best friend, Dorothea's, bus gets here, so she can go to pick her up.

Finally, Belly and Steven's dad pull up to the house and everyone crowds around to see what his new girlfriend looks like.

"She's hot!" Jeremiah exclaims and Rose laughs at him.

Steven scolds him, "Dude!"

"What? I'm just saying what everyone else is thinking."

"I wasn't thinking that," Belly glares at Jeremiah.

"I definitely was," Rose glances at Belly, seeing that her glare was redirected onto her, "Sorry. She's hot."

Conrad looks from Rose, whom he was smiling at, back outside, "Yo, that could be their future stepmom."

"Dude, what the hell?" Steven pushes Conrad, accidentally shoving Rosemary in the process. She backed up and watched the two play fight until the adults came in.

Conrad, Rose, and Jeremiah all ran into the living room and left Belly and Steven to greet their, most likely, future stepmom.