VIII. CHAPTER EIGHT

.eight.

꒱࿐♡ ˚.*ೃ

season one, episode five; summer catch

The day after the Fourth, Rosemary had one of the busiest days of the summer. She had to shop for her debutant dress, attend dance classes, and still find time to hang out with her friends and try to talk to Conrad about their almost-kiss the night before.

When Rosemary left for the lessons, James was still sound asleep in her bed, and Dorothea was in the shower. Everyone else in the house was asleep, too.

Belly was taking Cameron to the dance, she'd asked him the night before, so only Rose was left without a partner.

"Please join your partners now," Ms Covington instructed, and Rose glanced at everyone in pairs.

"Hey, do you have an escort?"

"Uh, no. Haven't found anyone to ask yet," Nicole nodded at Rose's answer and grabbed her hands.

"I can be your partner for today."

Rose smiled thankfully at the girl as they started to dance.

"Just find an escort soon, or else Ms Covington will have an aneurysm." Nicole laughs as the two dance to the classical music.

Truthfully, Rosemarys brain wasn't entirely focused on wherever her foot goes on whatever beat, more so on the almost-kiss her and Conrad shared last night. She never thought she'd ever look at Conrad that way, and it's kind of fucking scary. They'd been friends, officially, for only a few weeks. Sure, they've gotten close. But Rose didn't think they were that close.

She shudders. Mostly at the thought of having to actually speak to him about the kiss, then about her feelings. The latter of which she doesn't even know a thing about.

Luckily for Nicole, Rose wasn't stepping on as many toes as Belly (she's sure Cameron's feet are gonna be swollen), so she didn't really mind dancing with the girl, especially when they got to talking.

"Hey, so," Nicoles starts, "I'm sorry for bugging you about Con yesterday while Belly was— well, y'know."

Rose huffs a laugh, "It didn't bother me, don't worry."

Nicole nodded, beaming, and Rose was sure she was gonna start a new conversation.

"So, actually, now that Belly's not—"

"A pain? Specifically in the ass."

"Drunk." Rosemary laughed, gesturing for Nicole to continue. "I was wondering, well— Are you close with Conrad?"

She furrows her brows, "I'd say so, yeah. Why? What's up?"

"You know we ended things last week, he never really said much of why. We were so close last summer, with my date ditching me and- and him swooping in, and your— It's just, he left me on read. Have you seen him today?"

When Nicole's eyes met hers, she felt like the breath had been knocked out of her lungs.

Your... what? She just wanted to tell her to spit it out. Your sister. Internally, Rose cringed and rolled her eyes.