CHAPTER FOUR: On the mouth of the river, and the wrath of the giver

When Messi returns to Barcelona, he truly feels like he has recovered years of his youth.

He embraces the smell of the wet grass of the field and he takes his shoes off so his feet can feel the coldness he grew up used to. He closes his eyes and -as he breathes the Camp Nou- he swears he can hear the roar of the culèrs supporting the team until their last breath.

He then moves to sit in one of the seats of the benches, and he just stares into the stadium, assimilating the changes and getting used to home.

He's back home.

He hears footsteps nearing him and he doesn't have to turn his head to know who is coming, after all he's familiar with the scent.

The person sits next to him and looks ahead as well.

"Didn't think you would actually come back, I was trying to get used to you not being here anymore"

"Honestly, I didn't think so either. But here I am, and I'm glad you're still here as well, Pedri"

He then turns his head and looks at the face of the young man next to him. Pedri smiles at him and gives him a big hug that he returns. Oh, how he missed this boy.
When they break apart, Leo feels a scent different to his own on his clothes, but he can't quite put his foot onto it and it's bothering him for some reason.

"Did you...get a partner?"

The question actually caughts the young alpha off guard, and he sees how his pale cheeks get all flustered.

"I- I did. I do have a partner"

"I'm so happy for you! How long now?"

"A year, at least officially"

"Aww, I can sense their scent in your clothes. Are you two living together?"

Leo actually is happy to hear Pedri got a partner, someone that can treat him right and not make him feel so alone in this business.

"Yeah, now we're searching for a bigger place because the apartment is not big enough for three people '', and before he thinks what he says he lets the words escape his mouth. Next action, he closes it suddenly and stays in complete silence.

The older omega looks at him with a strange face, not saying anything but also not knowing what to say. Pedri knows that look and he knows that it means Leo's brain is trying to catch up to the information.

"Why three people?"

Pedri has to stop getting into situations where people find out about his incoming parenthood in such weird ways. He inhales and exhales and silently prays to God that Gavi will forgive him for disclosing the news now, and not at dinner today like he had planned and the reason why Pedri was here.

*Yeah, for me, my partner and our child"

Leo moves his head to one side, like a dog asking for a treat. "Are you going to be a father?"

"Yes"

"That's great then!", exclaims the older man and he breaks into a smile that lets Pedri let out the breath he didn't know he was holding.
They chat a little more to catch up on superficial stuff and then tells him to come with the entire family tonight to their apartment to have dinner and celebrate his (late) World Cup win and to talk after so long. Leo accepts.

*****

When they see each other again at night, the older omega is with Antonella and the kids waiting excitedly on the other side of the door. When the door opens they expect to be Pedri the one answering, but instead they're welcomed by Gavi who instantly jumps to hug Leo.

"I'm so glad you're back! We missed you so much!" and after saying that, Gavi moves to hug his wife and sons as well. "Come in!"

As they come inside and Gavi stays by the door with Anto speaking over the weather, Thaigo, Ciro y Mateo run inside the home in search of Pedri. Leo, meanwhile, is still standing in the middle of the living room, taking in on the situation at hand.

Pedri got a partner. He said he lives with the said partner. Gavi answered the door, which means Gavi lives with him which means Gavi is Pedri's partner. Pedri also said they were searching for a house because they're expecting a child, and if Gavi is his boyfriend then he must be the one pregnant.
So that means Pedri got Gavi pregnant.

He sees the young alpha emerge from the kitchen with his three sons, and as he smiles at him Leo says:

"When did you get Gavi pregnant?"

A silence breaks into the room, which this time doesn't last a lot.

"Did you tell him?! It was supposed to be a surprise!"

"I didn't tell him! It slipped from my mouth"

"How do you manage to slip that from your mouth?"

"Well, sorry that I can't think straight when I see that Leo freaking Messi just came back to the club"

The bickering is broken by Antonella, who excitedly asks Gavin if it's true, only to then hug him and start asking him all sorts of pregnancy stuff.
While the young boy and the older woman sit on two empty chairs of the dining room, Leo's sons decide that the distraction is on their side to strike onto the entry that's on the table, all while Leo still looks at Pedri dumbfounded.

"Surprise...?", says the younger alpha with an awkward smile.

He blinks once, twice and then turns around to also congratulate Gavi on the pregnancy and ask him if they can see the belly, the omega smiling happily and raising his t-shirt a bit so they can see the barely baby bump that's starting to form.

While the Messi family distract themselves with his boyfriend, Pedri returns to the kitchen to see how the pizzas are doing in the oven and smiles to himself because he can't believe he, for once, was the one that got Leo shocked over something.