Chapter 8: The Blind Boy / Le Garçon Aveugle

The twins:

 Ominis Gaunt:

Ominis Gaunt:

---

Chapter 8:

The Blind Boy / Le Garçon Aveugle

"Would you please take a seat and relax for a bit? You're pacing so much that you might end up scorching the carpet," Alphonse suggests.

We are both in our common room, by the couch facing the fireplace. It has been a long day of studying for my upcoming test with Professor Hecat, which is scheduled for the next day. After our eventful trip to Feldcroft, I have thrown myself into practicing and perfecting my spells with the help of Sebastian. Spending countless hours in the Undercroft, repeating the spells over and over again, until my right wrist felt stiff and my mind was clouded with the intricacies of each spell and their properties.

I pause in front of the couch where Al is lounging, his nose buried in a book. My nerves are getting the best of me, and I can feel my hands shaking as I pace back and forth.

"My test is tomorrow Al!" I exclaim, my voice coming out higher than I intended. "I don't know if I'm ready."

Al lowers his book and looks up at me, raising an eyebrow. "What if you're not? It's not the end of the world."

I stop in my tracks and face him, feeling a wave of anxiety wash over me. "But what if I fail? "

"Just don't," he says simply, his eyes returning to his book as if the matter is settled.

"Al!" I shout this time, my frustration growing at his lack of concern for my stress.

"What then?" He asks, looking up from his book with a hint of frustration in his eyes. He's accustomed to my pre-test panic moments. "She can't expel you for failing a test, and you've been doing great so far, you'll be fine."

"But I'll be alone with her, what if I freeze or forget everything?"

"Okay, worst-case-scenario, you fail, and she gives you more hours of tutoring with Sallow." He pauses, a look of realization dawning on his face. "Actually, scratch that, that's a terrible perspective. You cannot fail, Em." He declares playfully with a glimmer of amusement in his blue eyes, clearly trying to lighten the mood. I can't help but smile back, feeling the tension in my body ease up a bit.