Chapter 16: Uncharted Heights and Unspoken Concerns / ...

The twins:

(click on the images to see it in full resolution)

---

Chapter 16:

Uncharted Heights and Unspoken Concerns / Hauteurs Inexplorées et Préoccupations Inexprimées

"What the heck is that?!" Imelda's tanned face scrunches up in disgust.

I peer into the small brown paper bag, trying not to make a face myself. "I'm pretty sure they're... mice. Yep, dead mice."

"Are you seriously kidding me?" She furrows her dark brows, pulling back a bit from the bag as if it might bite her.

I can't help but chuckle at her reaction. "Well, what did you expect her to eat?"

She gives me a look, half-amused and half-horrified. "I don't know, but definitely not that! Just so you know, I'm not signing up for rodent duty."

I'm busy setting up Ruby's new living space, following the instructions the shopkeeper had given me. Every detail matters, and I want to make sure Ruby feels completely at ease and comfortable in her new habitat. With Mr Moon's assistance, we managed to install a spacious vivarium right in my dorm room (much to Imelda's dismay). Taking up a significant portion of my cupboard space, the vivarium is a sizable addition that I couldn't be happier about. My excitement was hard to contain as I returned from Hogsmeade and discovered it waiting for me. And yes, that also included a small bag of lifeless mice for Ruby's initial meals.

I pinch one of the little rodents by its tail, trying hard not to let my disgust show. I lower it carefully toward tiny Ruby, curled up in her snug little bed. She's been on edge since I introduced her to her new habitat in the dorm. Although, the guidebook says it's normal for her to be stressed out at first. Give her a few days, they say. I'm hoping a plump, deceased mouse might do the trick to help her relax a bit.

Ruby sniffs the air, her tiny white head peeking out from her hiding spot. Her red eyes widen at the sight of the mouse I'm holding. I bring it closer, and she opens her mouth, eagerly taking a bite.

"Eww!!" Imelda squeals, quickly retreating to her own bed.

I can't help but chuckle. "Guess we'll have to get used to it."

Her expression crinkles with distaste. "I seriously hope not. And how are you going to get more of these... things for her?"

I watch Ruby chew on her meal, her demeanor already improving.

"Mr Moon said that the school's elves will deliver mice every morning for her. I just need to pick them up."

"Ugh, that's just... gross," she mutters.