Revenge

- NO!

Takehiro's scream echoes inside the closed car. Mei is lifeless in the passenger seat. A friend, known under working circumstances. His only company during the past few months. A precise shot, a perfect shot, is what separated them in that escape.

- NO, NO, Mei... – tears are already streaming down Takehiro's eyes.

But there was nothing more to be done.

***

"Mei "Kitsune" Tanaka, 2088 – 2115," the tombstone read. Takehiro bids farewell to his friend.

- I know we didn't spend much time together, but these last few weeks, planning, occasionally sneaking out for a drink, and even in action... Oh, Mei... It was good to know you. I'll miss you.

He leaves the grave and heads towards his car. Takehiro drives a few minutes into the city, heading to a bar. The same bar where he met Mei. On the way, he sees a small commotion, two demonstrations that have just collided. People with signs declaring who should be the new mayor and shouting at the top of their lungs catchy slogans and short war chants supporting party A or party B. Of course, it didn't take long for all of it to turn into a large display of violence. Takehiro crosses the avenue with a dozen police cars. The officers inside the cars carried batons and variable-density shock pistols, waiting for Takehiro, made of elastomer. It wouldn't take long for the display of violence to turn into a massacre at the hands of Alpha City's police.

The bar wasn't very crowded. Takehiro sat at the counter in front of the bartender.

- A shot of whatever's strongest.

- Tough day? – the bartender asked.
- Tough life.

Silence.

And one shot turned into two, then three, four. Before he could order the fifth shot of whatever the strongest drink in a place like that was, someone sat next to Takehiro.

- Heard about Mei.

- Miss Fiorentino? – Takehiro seemed surprised.

- Seems we had the same idea. Coming to the place where we met Mei.

- So you also knew her here – Takehiro seemed a bit tipsy from the drink.

- Yeah... knew her. She was in the same state you are now, almost drunk. Talking and shouting to everyone about how she would be the best ronin this city has ever known and how she was looking for a good job to prove her worth – she gestured.

- It's been a while since I heard someone call themselves a "ronin." It's much better than mercenary, bounty hunter, leech... Even though it means the same thing in the end.

- That happened ten years ago; I had just become a fixer in Night City and decided to give that strange girl screaming in the middle of the bar a chance. After that, she proved herself one of the best ronin and, besides, one of the best hackers. Even using that external terminal, "TEX" as she called it, an old relic. Even so, she was exceptional.

Silence.

- In that, she was very much like you – Miss Fiorentino continued - even if she'd never admit it. She liked implants, tattoos, and cybernetic carvings, colored hair, rebelliousness, but never really did any of it; she kept her body clean, her hair natural. Whether out of fear or choice, she had that same traditionalist style you have.

- I'm not a traditionalist, just prefer things as they are. A sword is a sword, and that's it; it doesn't need electronics. The same goes for people.

- Well, and now you have a mechanical arm and an ocular interface. What an irony of fate, huh?

- Fate... Anyway, why did you come to talk to me?

- Just chatting, not bringing any jobs, if that's what you want to know.

Silence.

- You know who took her out, don't you? – Takehiro lifted his gaze a bit.

- I do. And I intend to do something about it. Said I wasn't bringing any jobs, but since you're here, would you like to help?

Takehiro took a moment to respond.

- You can count on me.

- Yelena Goncharov, leader of the Tekhno, ordered the attack on The Crow. I imagine their intention was to kill only McCoy, but they saw an opportunity to avenge the drug factory you retired – Miss Fiorentino showed a holographic photo, coming out of an implant on her arm – They're trying to expand their territories, started by attacking a lieutenant of the Karasu; it won't be long before they attack the mafia.

- How do you know so much? – Takehiro was paying attention to the hologram.

- Not everyone becomes a fixer; you should know that by now. I have my contacts – she turned off the hologram – I've already contacted the head of the Karasu; we can count on their support.

- Okay, what's the plan, then?

- Colpisci per primo! – Miss Fiorentino winked at Takehiro.