Chapter 4

Chapter 4: Dates and Mistakes

Word Count: 3337

We sat on the couch, his hand running through my hair as I laid back against his chest. It had been a long day of drills and studying. The stress of the work had us both up late at night.

"Pete?" I asked quietly, receiving a hum in response. A small smile graced my lips. "As much as I enjoy this, we should get back to work," I looked at my watch to see it was past ten. We had a lot more to get through before calling it a night.

Maverick sighed and nodded. "Alright," he mumbled. I slid off the couch and onto the floor where papers were thrown about. Maverick followed suit and picked up one of the books. He held a confused look as he tried to read it.

"Wrong book, hun," I told him, not bothering to look up from my own work. He set the book down and raised a brow. All I heard was silence, so I assumed he had grabbed the right one. A hand came in contact with my cheek and turned my head in his direction. Maverick had a goofy smile, much to my confusion.

"Did you just call me 'hun'?" he asked. I took his hand from my cheek and nodded. I didn't understand his behaviour.

"Yeah, I call everyone that," I answered. Maverick laughed and firmly placed a kiss to my lips.

"You're so cute sometimes," his comment caused a red flare in my cheeks. I turned away from him.

"Get back to studying!"

"I'd rather study you," he smoothly replied. My expression contorted into one of embarrassed anger. He placed his hand on my thigh, rubbing his thumb back and forwards over the skin. I turned to face him only for his other hand to take my chin and pull me into a kiss.

I was stilled from shock. Eventually I melted into the embrace, forgetting about the work that needed to be done. A sudden cry interrupted the moment and I pushed against his chest.

"Jake," I groaned and stood up. Rebecca and Jake still had a few days before heading back, same with Carole and Bradley. Reed hadn't been sleeping well and the last thing I wanted was for him to wake up because of his son. I walked into the room Jake was in, which happened to be my own, and sat down on the bed next to him.

"Everything alright?" I stroked the almost three year old's hair to sooth him. Tears were streaming down his cheeks. Jake curled up against me and tears cascaded down his cheeks.

"I don't want daddy to leave like mama did," he sniffled. The poor boy's words broke my heart. I scooped him up and held him against my chest.

"Shhh, it's okay. He's never going to leave you," I comforted the kid. I looked up to see Maverick at the door frame. He looked extremely conflicted. "Why don't you come sit with us?" I asked Jake, "We have some studying to do but then you won't be alone,"

"Okay," Jake mumbled and rubbed his eyes. I pressed a kiss to the boy's head and stood up with him balanced on my hip. I stopped at my desk to grab a model jet I had for him to play with. Maverick followed me out into the living room and we ressummed our spots on the floor, only Jake sat in my lap.

I held the model plane for him to take, which he did. He snuggled down into my lap and ran his fingers all over the plane. I picked up what I had left off on and yawned. Suddenly I was getting tired.

Just a few more pages. . . I thought as my eyes started to close.

***

A sudden flash of light interrupted the calm darkness my mind was in. My eyes fluttered open to see a guilty Reed with a camera in hand. As I came to my senses, I noticed I was curled into Maverick's side with Jake stretched across our laps, sound asleep.