Chapter 5

Chapter 5: A New Chapter

Word Count: 2801

"Morning sunshine," Maverick greeted from somewhere in the room. It wasn't the first time I had woken up in Maverick's bed. My mind barely registered that it wasn't my room anymore.

"We really need to stop waking up in each other's beds," I mumbled as I sat up, rubbing my eyes. It had become a routine of some sorts. We would stay up late studying and one of us would fall asleep. He tossed a shirt at me and I put it on, covering my bra.

"Hmm, I don't know. It's kind of exciting figuring out in the mornings if I slept with you or just slept with you," Maverick winked, clearly implying something not so innocent. I rolled my eyes and took a deep breath. My stomach had started to act up again.

"I'm gonna use the bathroom," I didn't stop to see his worried expression and instead headed straight to the bathroom. Almost immediately I doubled over and threw up in the toilet.

"Are you alright?" Maverick asked, rather concerned with my wellbeing. I nodded and held my hair behind my shoulders.

"Yeah, I already told you why I'm-"

"That was days ago," He crossed his arms and leaned against the doorframe. I hadn't realised how many days it had been. Before I could answer, another wave of nausea washed over me.

Maverick quickly knelt down beside me and held my hair back as I threw up. It had been a pain to continuously throw up for the past week. He waited for me to be done before speaking.

"I don't think you should keep flyi-"

"I'm fine," I quickly shot him down. Maverick sighed and pressed a kiss to my cheek. He wasn't going to argue with me.

***

"Shark, on your six!" Iceman yelled through the comms. Today he was my wingman as we went through drills.

"Get 'em off Ice. We're sitting ducks!" I told him, taking a sharp vertical turn to try and shake him with the sunlight. Unfortunately, it didn't work. My head started to pound as the jet increased altitude. I pulled the F-14 into a barrel roll to get out of the situation.

"Well you could at least make it easier for me!" Iceman complained as he tried to keep on the bogey. I was close to being within weapons lock, meaning I had to do something fast.

I jerked the plane down, ending up in a spiral down towards earth with the bogey. The constant movement was starting to make me sick.

"Ice, I can't do this much longer!" the hard deck was approaching quickly which meant not much time. I let out a sudden curse as my head throbbed. My vision was going blurry. I pulled the F-14 up, removing myself from the situation and falling into weapons lock, meaning a kill for the bogey.

"Shark?" Reed pipped in, knowing I could have flown much better than I just did. He pursed his lips. The lack of response was concerning. "Shark, talk to me,"

"I need to land," I mumbled as my eyes started to close. My head was spinning and I could barely stay conscious. The F-14 took a sudden nosedive without a pilot.

"Shit Shark! What the hell are you doing!?" Reed panicked. He was just a back seater. He had no control over the plane itself which meant he had no control over if they crashed or not. Reed had the option of ejecting, but then the plane would be destroyed.

"Dammit, wake up!" he yelled. I opened my eyes to see the ground coming. Fast. I quickly pulled back and brought us level in the air. I wasted no time in trying to get us back. The landing was rough considering I would barely think.