Chapter 3

Amber quietly snuck after Ember, her older brother. They stopped at a big set of wooden mahogany doors. Their parents were doing it again. Every once in a while, the King and Queen of the Griffins would invite mysterious somebodies to their palace and hold a secret meeting in the middle of the night, when Amber and Ember were supposed to be asleep.

Ember gestured to Amber. They pressed their ears against the door.

"I am delighted that you all made it tonight. Let the pre-meeting begin," a voice said.

"Before we begin the after-pre-meeting and as the information in the pre-meeting, are there any questions?" another creature said. It sounded like their mother.

"Yes, your majesty."

"Continue."

That was their father.

"Are the armies adequate enough? The ~~~~~ are strong."

Amber glanced at Ember. She hadn't caught what they had said was strong.

"Our armies are brilliant. They are powerful as well."

"Only when you have the Verdelite! Well guess what. You don't have it anymore!" a snide voice snapped.

"What?"

"It's not in the ~~~~~~~~. I checked before the meeting."

There were hisses and growls.

"That is terrible news," the queen said.

"It doesn't matter! We WILL win!" the king roared. The other creatures in the meeting mumbled something.

"But your majesty, how could that have disappeared?"

"Wait a second. You said before the meeting, correct?"

"Erm yes your majesty."

"Then the culprit must be close by! I will catch them, yes, I will," the king hissed. "I will go get some of my soldiers right now."

Amber looked at Ember fearfully. They're going to get caught!

"Come on!" Ember hissed, grabbing his sister by her forearm. They ran to the nearest open window and burst out, flapping their wings. The sun was rising, casting a warm golden glow on the land below.

They landed on the windowsill of one of the windows on their tower, and climbed inside.

Their youngest brother, 5 year old Cerise, was sound asleep. After slipping onto their warm cotton beds, Amber yawned.

"That sure was tiring," she said. "Hmm that creature, the one who checked. Maybe they stole it?"

Ember had already fallen asleep.