Genshin: the story that ends in the middle

Characters: Beidou and the children of Liyue

She cared for children, too many of them to hold all their little hands. They followed her in a lopsided sort of line, bare feet sliding into the warm sand as they chased her down the shoal.

One found a seashell,
one a starconch,
one a jellyfish washed up on the shore.
Three started to build a sand castle,
and one found a rusted gear from a civilization of yore.

The sun warmed the earth and the sand, and she watched her children play a game of tag, kicking dust over her clothes. One stopped to look at her tanned skin, the scars standing out more than ever.

He told her he wanted to grow up and be powerful like she was, and she laughed and reached for his hands. "Don't worry, little one," she said. "You don't need scars to be strong."

He grinned back and tugged her towards the water, and she got to her feet. Leading the charge, the children racing behind her, little waves splashing around their feet. Crabs darted under the sand, afraid of such lively humans.

She crouched in the waves, watching them splash each other over and over. Even the sun was not as bright as their smiles. If every day could be like this, if she could someday bring her wife along to see them rush about- she would know nothing but happiness.

And at the end of the day, when the sun was sinking below the horizon, they could return to the harbor.. free from worry. Without having to look up to the sky and see the Jade Chamber covered in thorns, all its luster gone.

Her smile disappeared as soon as she set foot on the wooden bridge, cradling the youngest child in her arms.

"Is everything gonna be okay, Captain..?" one of the children asked, reaching for her skirt.

"Everything will be okay," she replied, unable to look her in the eye.

And as she repeated the nightly ritual of returning the children to their homes, she felt something burn inside her. A spark, turned into a flame, turned into a bright bonfire that sent heat through her veins until she could feel herself burning. And she refused to stay on the ground, going along with the new rules as if they didn't affect her.

Her greatsword had not rusted yet. Hidden below the decks of her ship, the blade was sharp as ever and just as clear as her mind.