CASE #016

CASE #016

Akashi ran his hands through his hair for the umpteenth time as Mikage treated his injured arm. "Where's Towa?" Akashi asked, his expression serene.

    "In his office, thinking." Mikage replied.

    "Why must all of this happen? She did nothing wrong." Akashi sighed.

    Mikage smiled slightly. "Everything happens for a reason, Seijuurou. You have to wait and see what the world has it planned for us."

    "How about Chief, where is he?"

    Mikage went silent. "I'm not sure. No one has seen him."

    Akashi ruffled his hair again. "All of this wouldn't have happened if it were not for me."

    Currently, both of them are in the waiting room and Heiwayuki is locked in the questioning room. "How do we get Towa's fiancée out?" Mikage wondered and leaned back.

    "She was possessed by Yukio once but I managed to send her away. I'm not sure how to detach a soul. Have I ever been possessed, Mikage?"

    "Yes, first few months when you started to work here. But that time, it was Heiwayuki's father who cured you."

    "This is so frustrating," Akashi then glanced at his wristwatch. "I have to go now. Call me if anything happens."

    "Tell him to take care, will you?" Mikage smiled.

    "Sure I will."

****

The room was too cold when he stepped in. Akashi turned off the air-conditioner and approached the elderly man lying down on a luxurious bed, his whole body connected to various machines. It was like his life depends on those things.

    "Father..." Akashi sat on a chair and took his father's hand.

    His father was probably sleeping. It's a rare occasion if he's awake.

    "Things have been hard lately," he continued, smiling gently. His father's chest rose and fell, indicating that he is still alive and breathing although most of his organs need help from machines. "Remember the girl I told you about? Yes, the one who had her given name same as our surname."

    His father stirred but did not wake up.

    "She is currently possessed by my friend's deceased fiancée. Motive is still unknown. But Dad, I have no idea why I feel so sad. It's like I'm feeling so empty without having the thought that she's safe and sound. Is it because she had to carry the curse? Is it because I care?

    "I mean, I care for everyone but why does my heart clenches so much right now? Tears are threatening but I'm a man, right? I can't cry. I have to try anything I can to get her back. Dad, Heiwa is really hurting. Would you help her out of there? With Mum, perhaps?" his voice broke. "I don't want you to leave but you're suffering even now. I couldn't help you, I'm sorry. If only I could save you, you wouldn't be here in a coma state.

    "It hurts, right? To be neither alive nor dead. These machines won't help you for so long. The doctor had predicted your life duration. Dad, I loved you and I still love you just like how I love Mum and Sou-nii. I hope you'll meet Mum and do wait for me, okay? And by the way, Mikage told you to take care." Akashi reached for his smartphone and dialed his father's personal doctor's number.

    "Seijuurou-sama." The doctor replied.

    "I'm prepared, Sensei. You can cut off the machines now. It's useless. My father doesn't have much time left." He said quietly.