Chapter 4

I don't think I've slept that night

My head seems to be in a daze as I stare off into space until Liam slaps the back of my head. I curse under my breath as he comes into my view. His blue eyes stare into mine as he looks at me with confusion. "I asked what's wrong Aiden?"

I didn't know.

I was supposed to be mad.

If she ever came back I promised myself that I would never even look at her. But my brain has been going crazy with the possibility of her return. It's either that or I need to visit my doctor again.

The thought gives me pause as the coldness washes over me. I shouldn't be thinking about her, and even if she's back, she's five years late. I don't want her in my life anymore.

"Nothing," I reply to Liam and take a cigarette out of my pocket and light it up.  I face the ceiling of our university as I take a long drag of the smoke and let it out.

Liam crosses his arms over his chest and glares at me. This scene is disgustingly similar except for the fact that the girl who was my everything was in the place for this little fucker. I groan as he raises his eyebrow telling me to explain myself.

Just as I was about to open my mouth a hand places itself on my arm making me groan at the possible intruder. I don't have the energy to deal with her today. "Trouble in paradise?" Valerie's annoying voice scratches my eardrums as her perfume fills my nose making me wrinkle it in distaste.

"Not interested," I say simply and move away from her touch.

"Oh come on Aiden, I know you want me. I can't forget about that night." She purrs in my ears making Liam visibly shudder from disgust. Oh, come on Valarie, where the fuck is self-respect?

And by that night she meant when I slept with her about six months ago only because I was too drunk to even put two plus two together much less find her g-spot.

"Yeah?" I ask and her face lights up as she nods. "Because I don't even remember the said night." I roll my eyes and Liam chokes a laugh at the way Valarie's face becomes red.

My lips tug upwards as he shakes his head at me, I take another long drag and let the smoke out as Valarie stomps her foot in frustration.

"Jesus Christ, grow the fuck up," Liam murmurs as he leans back onto the wall behind him. He also takes his cigarette and lights it up as Valarie turns to him.

"Said something Adler?" she seethes and his jaw ticks at the usage of his last name.

"Don't call me that," he grits out.

"Go find someone else to fuck Valarie," I say and her head whips to me with a glare.

"My name is Violet," she snaps and Liam hides his chuckle with a cough.

"Same thing." I shrug and she huffs and stomps off to where a group of girls were waiting.

"Doesn't get old, does it?" he asks and I shake my head staring off into the distance.

"I don't know but it's getting fucking exhausting." I groan. With girls at the underground ring and university trailing behind me, I know that I was one of the most wanted guys at Da Vinci High. It's one of the many reasons why the jocks despise me so much.

With 6'4 height and a body I've worked my ass off to get I know that I'm into that Greek god category women put me into and me being originally Greek sets them on in some way.

And according to Liam, my underground matches and my bike makes them want me more. I understood why but I simply didn't care. The physical beauty and the materialistic values never had an appeal to me. Brown eyes, blonde hair and a smile that makes my chest tighten suddenly flash before me as I close my eyes. Warmth rushes through me as the glimpses of her make me feel the familiar emotion at the very thought of her.

Anguish. So deep that every vain in my body throbs for her.

I lean my head back on the wall behind me ignoring Liam's assessing gaze. That's when I feel it again. The warmth. And this time it was real. I don't open my eyes yet but my pulse speeds up. I screw my eyes shut tighter as the mere possibility makes me feel things I didn't for the past five years.

I tell myself that I hate her. She left me when I needed her the most. But did you give her a reason to stay? A voice in my head whispers but I block it out and finally open my eyes.

The breath gets knocked out of my lungs as I take her in. Five years. Five fucking years. And here she was. The eyes that haunted me finally stare back into mine with so many emotions that it was getting harder to breathe. I don't want to look away from her face but my eyes involuntarily drag themselves down and holy shit.

From her plump lips in red to her ridiculous top which would probably give me a serious case of blue balls for a week or two. The outline of her breasts to the dip of her curve and those long legs I wanted to be wrapped around my waist, she looked like a sin. My favourite kind of sin.

My eyes go back to meet hers and when Liam clears his throat the spell whatever we were trapped in snaps as he looks at Charlotte and me with furrowed eyebrows. When I look back at her, the eyes which always held so many tales suddenly looked blank, dead. Once she used to look at me like I was special and now I was a no one. A lump forms in my throat as common sense finally kicks back into my already damaged goods. You hate her.

I remind myself as I look away and resume taking a drag of my cigarette as if nothing happened. Nothing happened if we are talking, she was once my friend and friendships fall apart, there's nothing to feel. There's no reason left to feel anything anymore.

The lump in my throat grows as all the reasons why I shouldn't feel resurface in my mind.

Even though Charlotte is back nothing would change. I am still me and she is still her. When I was the son of a Gardner, she was the heiress of the world's top jewellery brand. When I broke my bones to earn a few dollars, she spent money like liquid. I was drowning and she is thriving. And as much as she owns every inch of my being, we are two worlds apart.

 And as much as she owns every inch of my being, we are two worlds apart