1. the lucky one

┌────────────────────────┐

and now it's big black cars and riviera views
and your lover in the foyer doesn't even know you
and they tell you that you're lucky, but you're so confused
you wonder if you'll make it out alive
and they'll tell you now, you're the lucky one

└────────────────────────┘

You sigh, tossing some dirty bandages into the bin beside you. It's been a long day for everyone at UA, but you can't help but selfishly feel like you've been worked the hardest—well, you certainly did more than Kaminari and Mineta, but that's really not saying much.

The spring semester's already halfway over, you realize as you stand up to stretch your arms overhead. I've actually learned a lot, you think, humming as you reorganize the shelves in the corner of the room. Your quirk's gotten stronger and your precision's getting better every day. Plus, if your full day of healing minor and medium-serious injuries is any indicator, you're pretty good at healing, too.

Your quirk: Water. It's a pretty bland name, but you like to think your quirk is decently interesting. You can manipulate water, essentially—freeze it, evaporate it, shoot it like a water gun, control it like a water bender, and heal people with it. You can create it, too, but it's usually more difficult than pulling it from a water bottle, or something. You'd grown up with the ER in mind for your future, but the older you got, the more you'd realized that med school would be way more difficult than middle school biology. Hero school wasn't a walk in the park either, but at least you could still have a job if you barely passed physics.

Your parents had been ecstatic when you developed a quirk as a child. It had developed young, too, when you were only about three years old. They were both part of the dwindling population of those called "quirkless" (as if having some crazy mutant ability made you better than anyone, sure). They'd braced themselves for you to be quirkless, too, but then you went and exceeded expectations—the first and last time you'd probably ever do so.

They had wanted you to be a hero from the start. They'd never said it, never tried to push their own dreams onto you, but the sentiment was always there. The TV was always showing clips of heroes saving the day, there was various hero merchandise scattered throughout the house, and there was always a vaguely-patronizing tone of voice used when they asked you about your plans for medical school.

Lucky for them, they raised a lazy dork who didn't even try to get into a premed-based high school. The fact that you made it to the top hero school in the country was a fluke, really, but you're not about to start complaining now.

The door behind you slides open, revealing Recovery Girl with a stretcher in tow. On top of it lays Todoroki, another student in 1A, unconscious and sprawled out like a princess in a kids' movie.

Stupid pretty boys....

"What happened to him?" You ask, following the school nurse to the cot that she likely wants you to transfer him onto. Wordlessly, you do. It's strange seeing a classmate knocked out like this. It's even stranger for someone as crazy strong as Todoroki to be in the nurse's office and not his opponent.

"That Bakugo is quite a fighter," is all Recovery Girl says, so you make a mental note to watch the final round once you get home—if you don't pass out first, that is. "He's not concussed, so you should be able to handle this, dear."

"Got it," you say, sighing as you take a seat beside the bed. From a pitcher on the nightstand, you pull a stream of water and begin the process of searching for fixable injuries.