Phoenix

Athena pov
After a few hours of driving major pulled over at a rest stop allowing Bella and I to use the bathroom and grab snacks. Walking to the car I went to get into the passenger seat but before I could grab the handle the major grabbed my hand "what's wrong major?" I asked looking into his black eyes I could see his ram rod back he was beyond tense. I wanted to help calm him, so I stepped up to him grabbed the back of his neck and pulled him down for a sweet kiss, this kiss quickly became one of desperation, desire, love and fear. I pulled back to breathe and said "I know major I know but I'm not going anywhere I won't leave your side" "good I need you to live I won't let him lay even a single finger on you" major growled out.

He then guided me into the back seat it was only then that I noticed Bella had claimed the passenger seat she sent me a smirk thinking that Jasper was going to be driving. I smirked back at her as the major climbed into the back with me then opened his arms for me to snuggle up against him. Once I got comfortable, I looked up at my cowboy, after a while I drifted off to sleep feeling safe and loved knowing that he'd never let anything happen to me.

I woke up laying on a bed with my head on a cold hard chest strong arm holding me tight preventing me from moving. "Hello darlin did you sleep well?" Looking up I realized Jasper was back in control smiling at him I reached up to give him a kiss "I did thank you cowboy, are we already in Phoenix?" I asked looking around a little confused. My gaze stopped at Bella who was glaring at me clearly pissed off that I was hogging Jasper's attention.

After a bit I became anxious not liking how the other Cullens were potentially risking their lives for me. Jasper felt my unease and rubbed his hand up and down my back sending calming waves. "You should eat" I turned my attention to Alice as she gestured towards the plate of food. I stood and grabbed some strawberries knowing she was right, and I needed to eat.

We spent most of the time just watching tv in tense silence until Alice gasped, Jasper rushed to her side placing a piece of paper and a pen in front of her. After explaining how her visions work to Bella, we came to the conclusion that James was here in Phoenix and at a ballet studio Bella used to attend. Jaspers arms came around me breaking me out of my thoughts "I don't care what happens I want you in arms reach at all times ok?" The tone told me that the major was once again in control. I looked up into his eyes with a tight smile I nodded "that'd make me feel better as well" hearing Bella grumble something I couldn't understand I looked at Alice "we should check out and get on the road somewhere else" she nodded in agreement and a plan was made.

Alice, Jasper and I went down to check out of the hotel and grab me a snack or two. Once we got up to the room to grab Bella, we realized she was gone "great she's gone to meet the vampire that wants to kill her" I groaned knowing that meant we would go after her. I could see the struggle in the majors' eyes he didn't want me anywhere near the red eyed vampire, but he didn't have a choice.

Once we got to the ballet studio I hopped off of his back and moved to the side near where Carlisle was trying to help Bella. After all of the venom was out of her system she passed out. I knew when she woke up, she would be pissed that they didn't allow her to change. But she's not a mate no matter how much she wishes she was. Jasper and the others appeared by my side once they finished taking care of James. "Let's head home darlin' you need rest and I want to hold you" I peck his lips and nod, "let's go home guys."