Chapter 3

Hello Everyone,

Thank you so much for sticking around. I know it's been a while since I've edited. I've been busy with lots of homework and tests and such. The school year is coming to an end, however - and as soon as it is done and gone, I am going to get right back to writing.

Thank You to those of you who have reviewed! I really appreciate it and it encourages me to keep writing. Please continue to do so!

Until then, I'm gonna let you have this little piece of the next chapter to keep you going. ;)

Much Love,

Violinner24

__________________

MAX

Max sighs as she looks across the small space to Gem. She's staring straight ahead, seemingly emotionless, though Max knows better. She felt her nerves in how hard she'd clutched to her on their way to the airport; halfway between terrified and unsure. It's obvious that she's scared to leave her baby. But it's not like she could send her back now; the chopper was almost to the top of Utah.

They'll need to stop in Salt Lake City to switch from a chopper to a plane just to get over the Rockies. At one point there might have been a quality of fuel that could get a small aircraft over mountains like that, but they struggled to get through the Olympic Mountains in Washington - and that was with a nearly full tank of fuel. Now there was barely any left.

Max feels slightly bad for the pilot; fuel prices have been through the roof lately - not just because TC has been having to steal whatever fuel they need(although, that's what most of those companies and vendors are blaming it on). "Those Freaks comin' in and takin' our product - we don't really have much choice but to raise the prices just so we can survive." It would be a good argument - she always feels bad having to send out teams to steal when there are hard working people out there who need the money - but they only steal when they absolutely have to. And that's not as often as one would think.

Thanks to Eyes Only, there is some sympathy aimed towards transgenics and some have even agreed to help them out - under the radar. Pretty much everyone is afraid of losing a job and being kicked out of house and home if the greater population were to learn that they dealt with Freaks. On a surface level, Max understands their hesitancy - they all have people who need feeding, and TC was very lucky to even make it on to any of their lists. Not everyone can deal with the becoming a social pariah that dealing with transgenics does to their allies

Max turns to the window again, forcing herself to think of the mission at hand.

——48 Hours Earlier——

"Hey Max!"

Max turned around to see Logan running towards her. She had been on her way to the mess hall - something about a scuffle between an X-4 and an X-6 over... well, she didn't know. Probably something stupid. Everyone was restless due to the supply runs being cut off for the last week. They'd started them up again that night, but literally any time cooped up can set a transgenic on edge - let alone five hundred of them.

Max stepped a little to the side so as to avoid touching him.

"You got a sec?" he said breathlessly and Max noted the mechanized pressure release of the exoskeleton that he still has to wear if he wants to go excessively long distances...or he needs to run.

Max looked towards the mess hall and then back to Logan. "Yeah, I guess - why?"

He opened his mouth as if to say something, and then closed it, finally turning and saying: "Follow me." and then ran off with the help of the exoskeleton's enhanced speed and agility.