Chapter 4 - Delicate

45 minutes later, Bishop and I are sat in a dull hospital room with Amanda Campbell, her mother laying next to us on the beige sheets.

"The last thing I remember..." Amanda begins, "I was... I was listening to music, and then... there was a fire, and I woke up here."

"Amanda, was everything okay at home?"

Amanda shrugs. "Ever since she got back from her trip last week she's been quiet. And the Major is never quiet."

"What trip was she on?" I ask her.

"It was for work," she cries, "She said she had a lead on some case. I didn't ask."

Bishop and I look at each other.

"Yesterday I had both my parents," Amanda's tears stream down her cheeks. "I wanna go back."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Poor kid," I say as Bishop and I leave the hospital room, and begin to walk towards the elevator. "It's not easy loosing a family member, especially at that age."

"You speaking from experience?" Bishop asks me.

I look at her and stop, inhaling sharply.

"Sorry," she realises, "It's a... delicate subject. I shouldn't have brought it up."

I sigh. "It's okay."

I can feel her eyes on me as I look back at the elevator. Could this thing come any slower? Luckily I think she understands I'm not going to talk about it and focuses her stare somewhere else.

I've always been told that talking about my sisters death will help, but with what? It doesn't change the fact that she's dead. Talking about it won't magically resurrect her. For the rest of high school, all it felt like was my friends were sucking up to me so I would feel close enough to open up to them. That made me learn that when you're going through something, people don't care how you feel; they care about making you feel better so they get praise for helping you and that makes them feel good. I kept my private life private in the CIA, and for the past few months, Gibbs and McGee have said nothing of it and I was happy to do that too. Bishop seems nice, and I hope we can be friends, but I don't want this to be like Sophomore year all over again. I don't want her to get close to me just to know about what happened to Kate. My sister's death isn't something to entertain people with, it caused real pain. To a lot of people.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WORD COUNT: 411