Ephemeral Gaiety (Chapter 6)

So I finally got my motivation back from the deep pits of a thing called writers block. Yay!

So, I'm sure I'll have a great time writing this chapter because "there is truly no greater love than taking your most adored fictional character and throwing them into the emotionally-devastating angst fueled trash compactor and pressing every single button on the machine just to see what will happen!" - Someone on tumblr

Anyways here's 1 out of the 3 stories I promised now

———————————————

It took a lot longer than it should have to get Cal out of the Temple of Karnak. He refused to let anyone near him aside from Xylo, and he kept glaring at Set whenever he even moved a hand out in his general direction. But Cal couldn't be angry or annoyed. Not happy or excited. Just afraid. Afraid of everything and everyone around him.

Xylo was the only one Cal would look at with a sense of trust. Probably because Xylo was the only one out of the 4 who looked about the exact same as he did 5 years ago. Ricarro had longer hair and clothing of Japanese style. While Inpu had more tails, and his hair was turning dull at the tips. Set didn't even look like Set from 5 years ago.

Practically no words were exchanged after Xylo pulled Cal close to him.

It was a struggle to get Cal to his feet. Especially with the gash in his leg. Inpu couldn't help but stare at from a distance away, with a frown on his face. He had many questions that he wanted answers to. But he'd feel guilty and selfish for prying. Especially this soon.

Set ended up escorting Ricarro out of the temple to wait outside. Xylo could only imagine the weird conversations Set was starting.

It felt like hours of silence and walking before the group reached a point where they reached a waypoint to take them back to Camp Oasis.

Everything passed in a complete blur from there. People who were out and about at the time gave several looks. Most of which varied from surprised, shock, confusion, to concern.

Some people even tried to approach the group. To make sure their eyes weren't deceiving them. That Cal was really there, worn and weak.

Ricarro yelled at them all to go away. Though Ricarro was too childish to be taken completely seriously, they listened anyways. Especially since Inpu was also contributing to the effort.

Set had disappeared somewhere among the commotion. Probably brooding in a corner of some building.

It took a while, but Xylo managed to half drag Cal to the infirmary. He couldn't think of anywhere more private at the time.

Xylo sat Cal down on one of the beds, and pulled over a chair. Inpu left to entertain Ricarro. Probably to keep their minds off of Cal for the time being.

Cal stared down at his lap, where he had his hands folded. He didn't say a word. Neither did Xylo. He didn't know how to start a conversation with Cal right now. Just that he had to. So he took a breath, and leaned forwards in the chair.

"Cal...? Are you alright?"

Out of all the things he could've said, he said that. Of course Cal wasn't alright! Anyone could take one look at him and say, "he looks absolutely dreadful."

Cal's looked up at Xylo for a moment, before he looked back down at his lap.

Xylo hummed. He stared absentmindedly at the gash in Cal's leg. It seemed relatively deep. Mainly towards its end. But Xylo couldn't get a good look.

"Hey, can I look at this?" Xylo asked. He gestured to the gash.

Cal didn't give a proper answer. He merely moved his leg so Xylo could see it better. He averted his gaze too.