Chapter 3: Smartie Kid

The scorching sun gleamed over the hot, desert sand. Breezes push thin layers of sand across the floor. The T.E.A. strolls across the sand, with a sweaty group inside. "Are we sure we're going in the right direction?" Sandy adjusts his rearview mirror, seeing the dark, distant storm behind them and switching it to the crew in the back, lying in pools of sweat. Tang sat in the passenger seat, carrying the map, "Not a clue. All Monkey King said to do was head west, so-" "How did anyone ever get anywhere using these!?" Mei snatches the map, looking over what she saw as scribbles.

"Yo, blue thing, want to crank up that AC, brother?" Wukong called from the back. He sat in a meditating position, glowing and floating above a wide stool. "Uh, hey. Little help up front, Monkey King?" Mei calls out, Monkey King abruptly begins snoring, annoying Mei more, "Hey, I know you can hear me!" "No, I can't."  MK slides up next to Mei, "Mei, Monkey King needs to recharge after his fight with Nezha. He is in no state to waste his time on mere mortals. Especially now that I don't have my powers."

"Whoa, he told you that?" MK rolls back into his sweat (gross MK.) and nods, "We have a very honest relationship, Pigsy. Besides, that kind of Mystic Monkey meditation requires complete focus, apparently." The group groans, Sandy, cheers up at the front, "Come on, MK, don't be so glum! We'll roll down that window. Lil' fresh air never hurt-" Sandy and Mo instantly get blasted with fire, "THAT'S SO MUCH WORSE!" Sandy screams while quickly pulling up the window, Mo extinguishes Sandy's burnt mohawk.

Pigsy returns his focus to MK, "Kid, you know there's more to you than just your powers, right?" MK stands, "Exactly. I've accepted until I get my staff back, I'm not gonna be the strong one anymore, which is why I'm gonna be..." The group stares at MK, curious and excited about what MK might say, "The smart one!" The excitement quickly drops to disbelief and disappointment. "Excuse me?" "Oh, MK." MK ignores the harsh reactions and continues racking his smartie-ness. "a2+ b2 = c2 Oh, that's a triangle, boi!" They all knew they were doomed.

"Right, so how did this map work exactly? How does it know where to find the three rings of Samadhi?" MK squeezes into the passenger seat, "This sounds like a job for Smartie Kid! I've seen the map before, so I know what I'm doing!" MK examines the map, realising he remembers nothing. "I guess that symbol looks kinda like that one?" MK points to different paintings of locations. Each had a red, fiery ring in the centre of it. "What, those smudgey-looking things?" "Yes, right? It's the, you know, firey-looking one?"

"Not to rush anyone, but how far 'till the next pit stop? This desert's going on forever!" MK racks his brain harder, thinking back to the first time he read it, "Hm, well, if this map is up-to-date, then it looks like we're pretty close to... something?" The team collectively groans. "It's fine, guys! Right, Sandy?" "Of course, yeah." The T.E.A.'s engine sputters as the van begins to slow and breaks down. Everyone stares at the thermometer, T.E.A. had reached its heat limit. "Oh, uh... I mean no."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The team steps out of the van, and Sandy checks the engine while the others rest, out in the desert. MK grabs Wukong, placing him under a palm tree, the only remaining shade in the desert. "So, how is meditating going to help him recharge or whatever he's doing?" MK shrugs, "I don't know. He's a little sketchy on the details." MK looks back at what Wukong said beforehand.

Wukong was silent, levitated in the same spot he was before, MK beside him, attempting to stretch his foot behind their head for reasons they couldn't remember. Wukong finally let out his last words of wisdom, "Sometimes to find what we lost, we need to begin where we started. Look within ourselves. So I'm gonna do just that and go into some deep meditation. Wake me up sometime in the next uh... I don't know, hundred years. 'Kay? Bye!" Wukong immediately enters mystic meditation, not spitting out another word. "Wait! What!?"