Chapter 2

Raffles POV 1819

I knew William wouldn't take the news well. My heart shattered into a million pieces when I felt him push me away and run into the night. Trudging back to my room, a single tear rolled down my cheek as I thought of my days without him. 

My eyes landed on a piece of paper on my study table. It was a poem I had started a month ago. It was for William. 

The time during our relationship was the happiest I had ever felt. I hated my wife, Sophia, back home. The only thing keeping our marriage together was the kids, but even then my relationship with them was strained.  When I was with William, I was my best self. The joy I felt back then was indescribable, so I decided to put it in a poem. 

*clears throat*

Hello, darling.

 My heart's delight. Your smile so bright, my days so light.

 With you by my side, life's so sweet. Every moment spent, a cherished treat.

Your voice like music, to my ears. A symphony that wipes away my fears. Your touch

That was all I had completed. As my gaze lingered on the final words, I could not hold in my tears any longer. I held the poem close to my chest, and cried out, "I'm sorry, William." 

I knew that our relationship had a very slim chance of working out. We constantly had to keep it a secret, constantly had to hide our forbidden love. Stolen glances, quick brushes against our fingers. I hated having to hide our love, but I had no choice. I loved him, and he loved me. 

I reluctantly started packing for my trip the next day. I dreaded it. So many months without William, so many months without my love. Our only form of communication would be letters, but I could not risk letting anyone accidentally read them. 

I grabbed the poem and lifted it next to a candle. Taking one last glance at the tear stained page, I burned it, so that no one would have any evidence of our love.

 As I watched the paper slowly turn to ash, my sorrow filled cries drifted away into the night sky.

Authors note: idk why i decided to be so emo but yeah 

credits to chatgpt for the poem and my friend 'ashethics'