Dilettante (Raeda Week Day 2)

"Shh!"

"No, you 'shh'!"

"No, you!"

Eda and Raine glared at each other for a moment before breaking out in peals of laughter.

Raine gripped their sides as they cackled, "Ah! Eda, you're going to get us kicked out!"

Eda grinned and wiped at the tears falling down her cheeks from the force of her giggles, "C'mon Rainestorm, there's no one else here!" She grabbed their hand, "I said I was gonna find you the most kick-ass anniversary present ever, and I plan to make good on that promise!" She announced as she pulled them down another aisle in the massive antique mall.

Raine rolled their eyes, but trailed after Eda with a dopey smile on their face, "Whatever you say, Calamity." They sidled beside her, intertwining their fingers, "Did you have anything particular in mind?"

She hummed and brought their hand to her lips for a chaste kiss, "I'll know it when I see it," She replied, "but I might have a few ideas."

Raine snickered, gently squeezing Eda's hand, "You know, I'm surprised they didn't recognize us from the last time you tried to get me a present from this place."

Eda snickered, "It was their loss that they kicked us out, I wanted to steal some snails from my parents and buy the whole store."

Raine patted her arm, "Of course love, I'm sure they would accept snails in a heartbeat, no questions asked." They said, the sarcasm practically dripping from their voice.

"Oh hush you," She quipped, but as she opened her mouth to continue, something caught her eye, "Aha!"

"What'd you find this time?" Raine questioned, releasing Eda's hand as she ran into the booth.

It was a small space, so Raine stayed in the aisle while they listened to Eda shift things around to retrieve... whatever it was she saw.

"Got it!" She called.

"Oh yeah?" Raine started, "What is- Eep!"

They stiffened and threw their hands up as the tip of a rapier whizzed past their nose.

Eda beamed as she spun the sword around her wrist and kneeled, holding it out for Raine to take, "What do you think?" She asked.

Raine softened, she looked so pleased with herself, even if they had almost lost the tip of their nose, "Aw Eda," they gently took it from her grasp, inspecting the light engraving of flowers in the hilt, "I love it!"

Eda's eyes sparkled as they leaned down to give her a full kiss on the lips, "It's perfect." They mused.

<<<~>>>

"Eda, how exactly do you plan on paying for this?" Raine looked at her with a quizzical expression, to which she only smiled and patted their arm.

"Don't worry about it Rainestorm, you'll see." She answered as they approached the cashier.

"Hello!" The clerk chirped, "Did you find everything you needed today?"

Eda nodded, "Indeed we did!" She assured, taking the weapon from Raine and unceremoniously plopping it onto the counter with a loud clatter. She wasn't exactly the most graceful person ever, but her haphazardness increased tenfold when she wasn't wearing one of her many prosthetics. Raine quietly looped their arm in hers, hoping to calm some of her energy.

The cashier, Amelia, Raine noted from her name tag, looked utterly unfazed by Eda as she removed the tag from the blade, typing the price into the register.

"Y'know," Eda started, glancing at Raine, "This will really complete the whole pirate thing I've been embracing lately."

Raine grinned, "As long as I don't hear about any more ships being robbed," They replied, "When I was Head Witch, any time you committed some crazy crime, a random coven member would come to tell me, as if I could do something about it!"

Eda cackled, "Dang Rainestorm, I'm sure people were coming to you all the time ."

Raine shrugged, "It was mostly Darius honestly. I can't count the number of times he came to my office just to gossip and take advantage of my hospitality." Raine recounted, fondness in their tone.

Eda was about to open her mouth to reply when Amelia's voice cut in, "Ok you two, that'll be 53.03, cash or card?"

Raine's eyes widened as they realized they had neither of those things, but Eda just smiled at them and reached into her hair, pulling out a rather large purse, "If you don't mind," Eda started, smiling at Amelia and ignoring Raine's alarmed gaze, "I have something else you might be interested in."

Eda proceeded to dump the contents of the purse onto the counter. Raine recognized a few snails, but other than that they had no idea what sort of currency this was supposed to represent.

The green bills looked vaguely familiar, but the picture of the old lady on the front looked to be painted by a 12-year-old; they decided it must be poorly-forged human money.

A few white slips of paper floated down as well, obviously handcrafted. They read, "Hop Pop's I.O.U's," with a drawing of a humanoid frog. A few copper coins fell out next to them.

Raine had to resist the urge to cover their face in embarrassment as the pile grew and two suspiciously large, one red and one blue, gemstones fell out next to the rest of the paraphernalia.

Eda's smile was huge, and Raine wasn't one to disappoint their wife, so they held their breath and waited for Amelia's reaction.

To their surprise, she started to sort out the objects, typing numbers into her calculator as she worked.

Raine was dumbfounded, turning to Eda with a look that said, "What the fuck? "

Eda just smiled and leaned against the counter, "So, Amelia," she began, "Stuff from other realm's still selling, huh?"

Amelia hummed in confirmation, "Absolutely," she said, not looking away from her counting, "The people can't get enough of it."

"Ah," Raine thought, "Of course, Eda knows what she's doing."

Amelia pushed a few of the coins and papers back toward Eda, "There's your change, come back soon!"

Eda thanked her, stuffing the money back into her hair and gesturing for Raine to grab the sword.

They did so, smiling. They thanked Amelia again as they followed Eda out the door.

They walked side-by-side in silence for a while before Raine commented, "Thank you Calamity," they paused for a moment, adjusting their hold on the sword, "But where are we gonna put this thing?"

Eda took Raine's hand, lacing their fingers together and swinging their arms as they walked, "How about we clear a spot on the living room wall? It'll definitely increase the badass vibes of the house!"

Raine kissed her on the cheek, "Sounds perfect, love."

See https://archiveofourown.org/works/46560430 for notes on this story...