A New Arrival

The school's halls, illuminated solely by sunlight streaming in from numerous windows, visible in the dusty air, were a reminder that the summer vacations were definitely over now. The school on its own was, at the same time, a prison and a playground.

I was sitting in one of the middle rows in the classroom, not too far to the back, not too close to the front. A few seats were already taken, of course, in every row, but seeing as there were quite a few that had yet to come, I found a seat rather easily. 

The clock showed it was about three minutes before first period started. No heartfelt greetings were taking place, despite two and a half months of schoollessness. Everyone had kept in touch over the course of those months, so teary hugs weren't even necessary. 

I didn't really have friends, so even if teary hugs had been necessary, I wouldn't have shared any with anyone. 

Conversations were taking place. From the excited chatting of some of the people I could take that someone was supposed to arrive today. Someone seemingly important, at least by high school standards. 

As soon as my watch signaled that it was eight o'clock, the shrill bell rang, audibly echoing through the now empty hallway. On the first day of school, everyone made a point out of arriving on time, even if it was only on the first day. 

Well, not everyone. All the students. The teachers were late. 

As it always seemed to be on the first day of school. 

The door creaked open at six minutes past eight, and the teacher who usually taught math, also known as Mrs. MacAulay, walked in. Closely behind her, with elegant steps, followed a girl. A girl I had definitely never seen before. 

The first thing I noticed were her eyes. 

They were blue, a deep blue. Not a piercing, icy blue, or dark blue like the night sky. 

They looked like an ocean, and the moment I looked into her eyes, I felt like I was desperately trying to hold myself above water. 

The girl looked across the classroom, looking for some point of interest, it seemed. She looked confident. I had never seen a new student look so sure of herself. 

Mrs. MacAulay cleared her throat, extinguishing the remaining few conversations as she got everyone's attention. 

"Class, we have a new student." She smiled at the blonde girl, waiting for her to introduce herself. 

"Hey," she smiled, her voice clear and calm. That marked the moment I drowned. "My name's Taylor. I'm from Pennsylvania." 

She sat down right in front of me right away, in the only empty seat left. People around her asked little questions while Mrs. MacAulay informed us about events in the foreseeable future. I lent my attention to both, alternating between the interesting and the necessary.