Ch. 14 (Bridget)

*Bridget*

      "Where you headed?" Sheila asked, vegged out on the couch. She was still in her pajamas, and she had a blanket draped over her. For her, this was unusual only because she was awake—normally she was still sleeping.

      I slung my purse strap over my shoulder, keys in my hand. I glanced over at her and answered, "Miguel's."

      She gave me a knowing (and sleepy) grin. She propped up on her elbow, guessing, "Lunch date with the model?"

      "It's not a date," I insisted casually. "He just has no other friends here."

      She scoffed. "Please. Everyone in Brimwell is his friend. He could call out to a perfect stranger, suggest bowling and cheap booze, and get a yes with zero hesitation. That's what happens when Brimwell's jewel comes back to Brimwell." She was still talking, even after I had walked out and shut the door behind me.

      I looked at my phone for the time: fifteen till noon. Thankfully, because I lived downtown rather than the surrounding area, the commute for me was about ten minutes. But for Chance, who was in that surrounding area (I had to assume this based on his travel times), it would take twenty or so minutes to get there. I hadn't lied when I'd said he was cutting it close.

      My Jeep's lights flashed when I unlocked the doors with the key fob. I smiled at the flickering. I was terribly fond of my car, because it was mine—and worked. Plus, it had my favorite radio stations already set before I bought it.

      Because five o' lock traffic always existed in Brimwell, no matter the time, it took a little longer that ten minutes to get to the Mexican restaurant. But since I didn't see a blazing red Ferrari, I wasn't too concerned.

      I sat in my car for a few more minutes, listening to the radio, until I saw him pull into the parking lot. I mean, it was impossible not to see him, especially in that car that screamed for attention. Once he pulled in, I got out of my car and stood somewhere he could see me.

      When this god among men stepped out of a hot red sports car, wearing sunglasses and a grin, it was obvious he was a celebrity. He looked like a walking cliché in this moment, dripping in fame and fortune. And I felt myself staring openly at him, mouth gaping.

      Slamming my mouth shut before he could notice and tease me about it relentlessly, I cleared my throat and help my hands up, hoping the movement would catch his eye.

      His head turned and once he saw me, his grin broadened and he lifted his hand in return. After acknowledging me, he tucked his hands into his pockets and sauntered over to me in long strides.

      "What would you be like as a cat owner?" he inquired, looking genuinely curious, once he stood in front of me.

      I groaned and started towards the restaurant. "Why are you even thinking about that?" I asked irritably.

      He gave me a lopsided grin as he came up beside me. "Because you keep mentioning buying a cat."

      "It's a joke," I informed him, casting a glance in his direction.

      He admitted, "I actually think you'd get along quite well. You're both good at giving the cold shoulder." He smiled playfully at me as he held the door open for me.

      I glared at him as I walked through. I suggested curtly, "Let's just drop the whole cat thing, okay?"

      "Only as long as you accept the fact that you will never be a crazy cat lady," he countered.