Neutron Star

Drax's face furiously glared at the screen above his small furred friend. "Cardiac means something to do with his heart right?" He asked, faintly familiar with the term but too distracted with anger and worry over Rocket's state to jog his memory. "What is wrong with Rocket's heart?"

Beside him he heard Mantis gasp, and he turned away from Peter's frozen wide-eyed gaze at the screen readings, to her horrified expression. "Peter–did Rocket's heart just–" her hands slowly released the utensil on the bed and covered her mouth in shock.

Detecting Cardiogenic Pulmonary Edema

CPR/Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation is Recommended

Apply Resuscitation Fluids Through Intravenous Tubes to BloodStream

Have Adrenaline Shot on Standby

Peter's powerless expression hardened in determination as he turned back to Rocket. Blocking out the loud noises from the cardiac monitor, he could hear the deafening silence of his absent breathing and stillness of his chest.

He immediately bent down over Rocket's now clearly lifeless form. "Mantis, Drax–get me the bags labelled 'Resuscitation Fluids' in the bottom drawer at the back along with another needle."

They quickly put aside the utensils they brought and sprang to the back bottom drawer, scrambling to find what was needed. Everything Peter had done with the help of his friends today had been because of the training Nova Corps had generously provided them.

They were even considerate enough to teach how to do CPR on a creature with a snout. So obviously that was for Rockets benefit. But the CPR he knew since his time on Earth. He saw his own mother successfully revive an elderly neighbour's dog with CPR after it had a seizure. But Rocket was not a pet.

He was more than a teammate and best technician. More than a Guardian and a warrior. He was their family and Peter was kidding himself before pretending that they were better off without him. He needed him. They all did.

I can do this! He told himself. He thought back to when Gamora had managed to do the same a few years ago, though to him it felt like months ago. When Rocket had drowned accidentally on a mission, Gamora volunteered to perform CPR on him successfully. Yup–I can definitely do this!

Removing the oxygen mask, he firmly took hold and repositioned Rocket by rolling him over on his left side. Facing Peter, he shifted up Rocket's head, elongating his neck until his snout was tilting back to open his airways up.

"We found them!" Peter heard Mantis announce in relief.

"Peter, you removed Rocket's oxygen mask. Will he not need that to breathe?" Drax inquired double as he approached the bed with medical supplies asked of him and Mantis.

"He's not breathing anymore Drax." Peter hastily explained, eyes not leaving Rocket for a second as he swiped the inside of his mouth and checked for airway blockages. He swallowed a lump in his throat seeing the bluish hue in Rocket's tongue and gums. He hoped his brain didn't starve of oxygen yet.

"So he needs someone to do the breathing for him now until he breathes on his own. Can you two inject the 'Resuscitation Fluid' Into one of the intravenous tubes?" They nodded uneasily yet steadily began filling up the needle with the liquid as Mantis took it upon herself to inject it into the tube.

Finding his airway clear, without hesitation Peter took a deep breath before placing his mouth over Rocket's snout. He made sure to cover his nostrils with his open mouth before he blew out a breath.