Chapter 8: Yvonne

Mrs Miles had helped me fill up the documents and posted them for me at the post office. It needed my mother’s signature but lucky Mrs Miles was my godmother so she could sign for me in the absence of my parents.

I was so excited about the junior force.

It was the first time in the history of Toronto did they allow people below the age of 18 to join the training force for the police. We would be trained for 5 years rather than the 3 years normal police are given and we would be place in a special team after the training.

Right after I filled up the form, I quit school and took care of the twins. Mrs Mileswasn’t happy about this however she knew that there wasn’t anything that she could do. She had insisted that I pray every day until they send me back a letter of response.

When the twins turned a month old, I had received the letter of response. I couldn’t open it so I had waited for Mrs miles to return from her store. I had waited near my bedroom window as I looked down at the letter.

When I saw two headlights slowly entering the yard, I ran down to her. She was carrying some groceries and had the twin tucked in the back seat. I helped her take all the food inside as she took the twins. They were asleep and so she placed them in their cradles and found me sitting at the bottom of the stairs with the letter in my hand.

“Have you read it yet?” she asked

“I wanted to open it but my hands are too shaky, I keep dropping it to the floor. I was wondering…if …if” I stuttered .

“it’s okay, Yvonne ill open it for you” she said with that sincere look on her face.
I had gave her the letter and watched as she slowly opened it.

She read the content on the letter and looked at me. She was crying, at the time I thought that I hadn’t been accepted because the only tears I had seen in my life had only been sad.

“Von, they accepted you.”, as she widely grinned. She picked me up and hugged me tight.

At the time I wondered why she had cried if it was good news. She quickly ran to the kitchen and came back with a cake in her hand. “Congratulations Vonnie” it was written.

She looked up to me. “I knew you would make it into the force cause you are my daughter.”

I couldn’t help but smile. I had always dreamt of something that could me feel like I had a reason to live. At that moment I had thanked God for what little he had given me and that final he had  showed me the way forward to were I’m meant to be.

I not only have an opportunity to better myself but I also have the twins and Mrs Miles which makes me feel like I have what I always wanted, a family.

My heart wanted my parents to never return so that I can live like this forever.

“Before we eat and celebrate let’s take a photo to remember this day. “She had said as she took her camera out and took a photo, which I could say was the last time that I could remember myself being happy and it had been the last moment I had with her.

_____________________________
Plz like
Share
&
Comment
My lovies