Chapter Six: An Oldie but a Goodie

Hugo stared at the unopened bottle of antibiotics, wondering how in the world Varian had been dealing with these symptoms for an entire month. Just one day was leaving him already miserable. He'd have to wait at least three to claim the medicine wasn't affective and get another bottle's worth.

Once he had that, project SaveSexySinnamonRoll would be well on its way.

Guzzling a massive bottle of water, he grinned. Maybe Cyrus was right, and he was much happier. Maybe, things were looking up for him.

The doorbell rang.

That was odd. He wasn't expecting anyone. When he got to the peephole, he groaned. Maybe if he just pretended he wasn't home—

"Hugo, I know your ass is in there," a woman yelled. "Your car's in the parking lot."

Grumbling, he unlocked and opened the door. "Hey, Don. What a pleasant surprise." 

She frowned at the monotone voice. She being the forty-year-old woman with a long grey braid down her back, blazing green eyes, and a scar down her face. "You've been ignoring my calls."

"Yeah, well, I've been busy. I'm guessing you want to come in?"

"If that won't be too much of an inconvenience for you." She stepped in and made her way to the couch.

"Sure, just make yourself right at home."

She sat, giving him a look. "You know half the stuff here was taken without my consent from my house, right? You could say this is partly my home."

"Pfft! Show me your name on the apartment lease and then we can talk. There a particular reason you wanted to ruin my peaceful evening, or do you just like seeing me suffer?"

"Peaceful?" She snorted. "Hugo, since when are you in a state of peace? You've been on edge since the first day I adopted you. And yes, I came here for a reason. This reason actually." She patted the glass coffee table. "I want my table back. I'm tired of putting my drinks on the fucking floor when I watch T.V. I don't remember saying you could take it."

He folded his arms. "How do you know Willow didn't let me have it? Doesn't she make all the decisions for you now?"

An impatient look crossed her face. "I know you've never liked your stepmom, but that's not an excuse to steal my stuff."

"You mean the stuff you stole from someone else?"

She sighed. "Hugo, that's not the point. I'm taking it back and you can't stop me unless you want me rapping on your door every day."

"Ugh, fine. Take your fucking table, but I'm keeping the bed."

"Deal. I wanted to get rid of that bed anyway."

"Great. You want it moved now, I'm guessing. I assume you have a pack of your 'buddies' waiting in the back ally to do it for you."

She clicked her tongue. "That can wait. I also wanted to know how you're doing."

He frowned. "I'm good, thanks for asking."

"Anything new happen?"

"I have a UTI."

She snorted. "Well, that is eventful. Did you get too sucked into researching again or something?"

"Something like that."

"How's your thesis?"

"Same as the last time you asked about it."

"You still working at the—