Chapter 10 Lion, Eagle, Bear, Tiger Part 2

Nanjing, China

Everyone jumped off the GMC 2½-ton truck and lined up. There was time to give the girls a tour of Nanjing before the UN meeting.

Y/N: Here we are everyone, Nanjing, the capital of China.

Rory, Leilei, and Tuka marveled at the sight of the bustling streets of the capital, despite most districts still under construction and the overwhelming presence of American-equipped soldiers and militarized police around us.

A lot of displaced civilians from urban areas fled to the countryside. Most took jobs as farmers, at these times it was work or starve. Due to China mainly being agrarian, it took lots of stress off farmers meeting quotas to feed themselves and sell their crops and landlords who constantly bug the farmers for not producing enough and paying rent on time. At first, the city folk were inexperienced in farming and thousands starved to death. But over time they took the learning skill from factories to improve their farming skill, eventually creating successful harvests with learning from the farmers themselves. Farmers get labor, profits, and successful harvests which stabilize the food market, the workers get food, shelter (in the form of tents or straw houses) and some meager payments, the landlords... get richer... To counterbalance the landlords getting too powerful and exploitative (they indeed have a notorious history of that), the central government increased taxes and regulation on them. Tax evasion* and breaking regulations only led to severe punishment. Some of those displaced civilians moved back to the cities to assist in the reconstruction of the whole country. While some major cities were mostly reconstructed by the "Reorganized" Government of Traitors, other smaller cities were barely touched after the Japanese razed many buildings to the ground with their devastating artillery and bombers.

(*A/N: Now NOBODY can commit tax evasion anymore! *insert evil laugh here*)

???: Y/N! Over here!

I turned to see none other than my little brother Liu waving outside the checkpoint. I ran over to greet him.

Y/N: What are you doing here Liu?

Liu: I'm off to work but I happened to see you come back. Is that your squad, and...

He paused with a confused look on his face, nodding at the three girls. The girls are too distracted looking at a construction site rebuilding a shopping district.

Liu: Who are they? They don't seem to be from here. They're not Chinese are they?

Y/N: Yes, that's my squad, and no, they're not Chinese. They're from the other world, one is just a human with magic, the short one is supposedly the god of death, and the tall one is a... ummm...

I trailed off and scratched the back of my head forgetting what she is called. Liu didn't wait for me to finish and interrupted.

Liu: A god of death? Don't be ridiculous Y/N, there is no such thing as gods, that mumbo jumbo those Christians or Muslims come up with. Christianity or Islam are nothing more than superstition. And magic? That doesn't exist...

I glared at Liu after he said the last part and finished my sentence. If there was a 5 cent coin for every time I lecture Lin... It's probably enough for my parents to retire.

Y/N: You interrupted me while I was in the middle of explaining something. And in the other world, gods and magic do exist. Their world works differently from ours. I don't believe in gods or magic either, but don't disrespect anyone's religion or beliefs. And by the way, Auntie is a Christian, so at least be mindful of your words around her!

Liu shrugged and disregarded my scolding. He waved goodbye as he walked away. I sighed loudly having to deal with him every time I came back home. That little brother of mine will be the death of me sometime if I don't die from a bullet.