The Call

March 31st, 1951, Fort Ord, California.

"Okay, I haven't performed yet- I'm not going to- RINGGGG!" I get interrupted by the phone ringing.

"Hello? Kate Houlihan speaking?"

"Kate! Is it you?" a familiar voice spoke over the phone.

"MARGARET HOULIHAN IT CAN'T BE YOU!!" I was shocked by the sound of my cousin's voice.

I haven't seen her since 1950. Hold your horses, I will tell you the story!!!!

Let me explain. 

You see, the Korean war started last year. She drafted, and got in. I was trying to get in and I did, and I was actually going to leave soon! We were not only cousins, but also the best of friends growing up. We were inseparable until she went to Korea, and left me here in the dust. This is the first time I have heard her talk to me on the phone since Christmas. I am so glad she's okay.

"You know how you are a singer now?" she asked.

"Yeah I do! Wild Frontier." I answered. "Why?"

"There is a person in this unit that loves your song! He doesn't even know what you look like- but I can tell they are in love- well with your voice for now..." She added on.

"Okay."

"Will you do me a favor? Can you perform? The officers need some entertainment, and this person is dying to meet you."

"Yes, can you tell me the name of this man in love with me?" I asked her nicely.

"Radar O'Reilly" She responded.

"Okay. I will come." I said.

"THANKS SO MUCH CUZ!!!!!" She squealed over the phone.